Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is there anythign you can give kiddies to boost immune system?

(11 Posts)
FloweryBoots Tue 20-Sep-11 21:16:10

Subject says it all really. DS (13 months) just had his second ear infection and turned out to be allergic to erythromycin as well as the penicillin he turned out to be allergic to with the first ear infection! I'm keen we do all we can, especially over the winter, to try and stop him picking up more infections as we really need to avoid antibiotics now. I know echinachea is supposed to be good for the immune system - does anyone know if it's suitable for little ones? Are there any other things we should think of? I was thinking we might give vitamin drops and I'll keep on with the breast feeding! And we'll be letting him try adn fight off any more ear infections with his own bodily defences adn not antibiotics of course!

foolonthehill Wed 21-Sep-11 17:40:26

Breast feeding and dirt are the best things for the immune system.

keep the immune system working by not being over clean... counter-intuitive but kids who grow up around germs are hardier than those who are over protected from them. Also do lots of chewing/yawning and mouth wriggling together ( good for laughs) might just keep the eustacian tube open and avoid ear infections

Tidypidy Wed 21-Sep-11 19:51:22

ask your pharmacist for advice, we have used minadex in the past.

jensape Wed 21-Sep-11 20:01:53

Yes, you can give echinacea to children, definitely. I put a few drops in my kid's drinks every day. They can't even taste it. And it seems to work as my dd and ds are rarely ill.

kalo12 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:45:57

I had something called Sambucal from health food shop. delicious. also give mine eskimo fish oil tutti frutti flavour

birdsofshoreandsea Wed 21-Sep-11 20:52:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdsofshoreandsea Wed 21-Sep-11 20:53:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jensape Thu 22-Sep-11 12:49:16

Well, Boots sell echinacea drops suitable for children aged 6 and over. I'm sure they wouldn't if it was not recommended. I have a feeling it has been endorsed as a complimentary medicine by the British Medical Association but need to look it up when I get time!

bagelmonkey Thu 22-Sep-11 13:15:48

A friend had a DS who was always coming down with minor infections. She started him on one of the probiotic yogurts or drinks and it made a MASSIVE difference.
It doesn't matter which one - yakult, actimel, own brand, whichever one they like or is cheapest.

FloweryBoots Fri 23-Sep-11 21:53:50

Thanks for all the ideas. Never thoguht about mouth wiggiling to keep the ear tubes open but good idea! I'll look into the sambucal. Being too clean is definately not a problem in this house grin

dribbleface Sat 24-Sep-11 20:18:15

we started my DS on boots own multivitamin syrup at about 18mths, he can't have some of the others as they contain peanut oil. It took about 3 mths but the difference in his health was remarkable. Could well be that his age and developing immune system all helped but i would highly recommend it. Not had antibiotics for 9mths!! Prior to that we had them at least 6-8 times a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now