Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox question.

(3 Posts)
sugarbea Tue 20-Sep-11 12:59:46

I found out today that a little boy my dd played with yesterday has come out in chicken pox this morning. We thought she might have had it before but the doctors couldn't confirm it so there is a chance she's not immune. Do I keep her away from playgroups etc from now or do I wait a while? I don't want to make other children infectious, she has a number of other medical conditions so her immune system is a bit rubbish anyway. I know you can't help catching it but I can help spreading it. Does anyone know the infectious period or if she would be infectious straight away? Even if the spots havent appeared. ? Thanks

BeeMyBaby Tue 20-Sep-11 13:49:48

I think if she develops a cough etc then this is what initially spreads the infection, this then continues until the spots have scabbed over.

dikkertjedap Tue 20-Sep-11 20:04:58

More for your dd's sake, if she has a poor immune system I would contact her GP as soon as possible. For chickenpox there is certain anti-viral medication which will help you get over it quicker with less risk of serious implications. You will only get it in certain circumstances, but well worth asking your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now