Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is there any way to make flucloxacillin palatable?

(18 Posts)
MrsChemist Mon 19-Sep-11 20:11:30

DS has an infection and we've just had to basically forcefeed him the medicine sad and he dribbled/spat most of it out.

The doctor didn't seem to know whether we could mix it with anything so said best not. However, I don't see why I couldn't put half the dose in the syringe with the other half orange juice, then repeat.

Obviously I couldn't put it in a cup of juice because then I don't know how much he's had etc. but I just don't know if I can take upsetting him that badly again. He's only just two, so he doesn't know why we're giving him the medicine and even cake couldn't console him sad

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Mon 19-Sep-11 20:13:10

It is vile stuff. We used to mix with a spoonful of icecream, the cold hides the taste a bit.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 19-Sep-11 20:15:55

We give DS an open frube to hold while we syringe it into his mouth, then he eats it straightaway to get rid of the taste. Don't blame him, it's disgusting stuff.

MrsChemist Mon 19-Sep-11 21:39:41

Thanks smile I'll try both of these. Anything to get him to take it.

The doctor said it could be a recurring problem as well, perhaps needing treatment a few times a year sad

My poor boy sad

mejon Mon 19-Sep-11 21:44:57

It truly is the stuff of the devil. Unfortunately I found mixing it with anything made it taste even worse and DD would never take more than the first spoonful as she knew what was coming. How old is your DS? Is he old enough to take the a/bs in tablet form?

bruffin Mon 19-Sep-11 21:52:13

I had the same problem when ds had an infected thumb, i tried hiding it in food, but ds wouldn't eat it, I then tasted it and it is truly horrible.#
I ended going back to the gp and getting an alternative ab.

clam Mon 19-Sep-11 21:53:11

Is it the violent fluorescent yellow stuff that's a bit pineappley?

Slightly off-topic but all I can say is, don't drop the open bottle on your cream carpet.

bruffin Mon 19-Sep-11 22:03:37

"Is it the violent fluorescent yellow stuff that's a bit pineappley?"

NO that is probably amoxacillan- fluxacillin tastes of pure evil, nothing palatable about it at all.
My dd had to have a skin graft and they mentioned fluxacillin. I paniced and said there is no way I could get that down her, thankfully they said that it would be given by drip or injection, cant remember which.

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 19-Sep-11 22:06:59

Ask for an alternative. My philiosophy is that when it is staining the sofa/carpet/clothes it isn't of much medical use.

My GP has always been ameniable to alternatives....apparently it is the preferred choice for some infections because "it is cheap".

strawberrie Mon 19-Sep-11 22:12:31

My dd had this last year for impetigo - we used to syringe it in in very small doses with her semi-reclined; too upright and she dribbled it out, too reclined and she gagged sometimes. Often with a chocolate button afterwards to take the taste away.

FWIW it wasn't fully cleared up at the end of the course and we were back at the GPs, when I mentioned the difficulty we had in getting it into her they prescribed co-amoxiclav instead, so quite possibly worth another appointment/phonecall to the GP.

mousymouse Mon 19-Sep-11 22:15:15

ask for the capsules. carefully break them open and mix the powder with nutella, jam, peanut butter, whatever goes down best.

timetosmile Mon 19-Sep-11 22:16:32

How old is DC?

DD learned to swallow capsules aged 5 so as not to have fluclox suspension!

Or ask GP/chemist to prescribe 2.5mls (half spoonful) of double strength suspension which is also available (tho' chemist may have to order it in) It may taste slightly better, or in any case, it's just half the volume to force in!

ReadRideABikeSwim Mon 19-Sep-11 22:19:47

i wont let them prescribe fluclox for my dc anymore just not worth it - ds had scarlet fever prolonged over a weekend because at just turned three he refused /spat /wailed but would not take it

my memory was PINK lots of pink everywhere

I think cephalexin is alternative but i may not be remembering right..... No advice apart from stcik at it!

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 19-Sep-11 22:24:10

mousy you should never break open capsules or cut tablets in half.

The coating is part of the medication and ensures that it is absorbed from the right part of the gut at the right rate.

Spero Mon 19-Sep-11 22:29:55

I had to go back to the doctors and swap it for the pineapple one as my dd just could not tolerate it - she started sicking it straight back up so it was pointless.

I was quite cross with the first dr - she presecribed 10mls 4 times a day for the pink stuff and the next dr said it would be fine to have 5mls 3 times a day of the pineapple stuff.

I accidentally tasted a bit of the pink one when she had a swig of my water bottle and I have never tasted anything so vile in all my life. I can't understand how any child could get it down. DD managed just two lots before she started vomiting it straight back.

mousymouse Tue 20-Sep-11 08:37:54

haunted it even said to do so in the package leaflet.

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 20-Sep-11 08:50:49

Fair enough if it is explicit....but as a general rule you shouldn't and there are a lot of people that don't realise that's the case.

There was a big article a few years ago which was about staff in care homes crushing and cutting tablets to help the elderly take them and it can be very dangerous.

MrsChemist Tue 20-Sep-11 10:03:42

Thanks everyone. I attempted to mix it with orange juice but from his reaction, it's still vile.
I'll see if I can get a telephone appointment with the doctor to get something new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now