Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pale poo - i'll never eat hummus again!

(6 Posts)
LizziePizzie Mon 19-Sep-11 08:59:26

My 15 month old DD has very pale poo. The consistancy ranges from normal formed poos to the consistancy of hummus. she threw up on Wednesday night/Thursday morning and it has been sice then. Her appitite (which is usually not great) is low, and she is also not driking as much as I would like. Having said that, she did down 9oz of milk this morning so I am not worried about dehydraton!

Other than that - fowl wind, normal behaviour and no signs of having tummy ache.

I called NHS Direct who said give it a couple more days before taking her to the doctor, which is my plan off attack, but I just wanted to find out if anyone else had experience of this and how long their child had pale poos. Also if they were taken to the doctor, what did they do? I don't want to take her, if the doctor is just going to say - if will go by itself!

tutu100 Mon 19-Sep-11 09:06:55

My ds2 had absolutely vile smelling pale poo's it turned out he was dairy intolerant ( had just moved from breastfeeding to formula at 11 months). He was intolerant for 18 months but now can tolerate some dairy, although I certainly know about it if he has to much!

We have been told that children can develop temporary dairy intolerance after a tummy bug so have been told to keep ds2 dairy free for 3 weeks after any stomach upset. Coul that be the case with your dd?

In rare cases pale poo can be a sign of liver problems so as this has already been going on for a few days I would probably be trying to get a dr's appointment today or tomorrow.

LizziePizzie Mon 19-Sep-11 15:05:34

Thanks - I am not sure about trying to cut out dairy as milk is the only thing she seems to be drinking! I could try her on soya milk.

BeeBread Tue 20-Sep-11 20:10:41

Hi Lizzie - I don't mean to scare you but I've read some horrifying threads on here about liver disease in which pale poo can be a symptom.

It could be nothing - friend of mine's daughter had something similar which turned out to be completely innocent - but I'd be getting her checked out ASAP.

tutu100 Tue 20-Sep-11 20:43:57

Lizzie have you been to the dr's yet? How are things?

youarebeingunreasonable Tue 20-Sep-11 20:58:22

My Ds had very similar symptoms a few months ago. The other thing i noticed was that his poo also floated, and was slightly mucous like???? his wind also smelt awful.
Other than that fine in himself and no signs of tummy ache.
Obviously I was concerned, I rang the GP who felt it was most probably a viral stomach upset. It did last for 2 weeks. But passed eventually.
Hopefully just a virus that will pass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now