Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd1 has had head aches and tummy ache on and off for almost 2 weeks, what could it be?

(9 Posts)
Marne Sun 18-Sep-11 22:20:02

At first i thought it was just anxiety (starting a new school and coping with Aspergers syndrome) but it seems to have gone on a long time and still complaining at the weekends (so maybe not school related), she has gone to bed with tummy ache again tonight sad. I wouldn't say its very painful (as she has managed to get to sleep), it seems to be on and off throughout the day. She's still eating fine, pooing fine ect.. and no real signs of illness.

What could it be?

Marne Mon 19-Sep-11 19:25:47

I took her to the GP this evening, they couldn't find anything, they are going to test her again for UTI but they said unless it gets worse then theres not much they can do, she's eating so she's fine. Just seems like a long time to have a tummy ache sad.

Catsmamma Mon 19-Sep-11 19:31:11

I'd say, in the absence of other symptoms, she probably is a bit anxious.

Try and get her to chat about her day and run through anything that seems to need dealing with.

IME children often latch on to a vague symptoms in situations like this.

How old is she? It's not impossible she might be a bit migraine-y? They can present as stomach pains rather than headaches.

Marne Mon 19-Sep-11 21:19:30

She's 7, she's always suffered from head aches but sinse getting her eyes tested and getting glasses they seem to have calmed down (until now), she does get anxious and finds it hard to sleep.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 19-Sep-11 21:22:54

A friend's DD had tummy pains - not head pains - and it was diagnosed as some sort of migrane. I don't know what the treatment was (if any) but she's fine now AFAIK

3littlefrogs Mon 19-Sep-11 21:26:06

Always worth checking for threadworms - they sometimes cause tummyache, and because they disturb sleep, they could possibly cause headaches.

lisad123 Mon 19-Sep-11 21:32:16

<waves at Marne,
Dd1 has been the same since starting back to school (also has autism) but just going to wait and see how it settles, it's likely to be stress sad

clam Mon 19-Sep-11 21:48:51

My DD has had something similar for the last three + weeks, but with a bit of backache thrown in. Began with a violent allergic reaction. Was in the holidays too so not school stress - and anyway she loves school. She's 13.

Have had her bloods/urine tested (as she has history of kidney problems) and all clear.

Not sure what to do about it really. Been to doc's three times now. We're scrabbling around putting it down to a low-grade virus and "seeing how it goes."
hmm

Marne Tue 20-Sep-11 07:59:39

lisad123- i'm sure it is linked to anxiety more than anything, she's very similar to your dd and has a history of suffering from anxiety, the tummy ache started a few days before she went back to school [sad[.

No sign of thread worms (no itchy bottom ect...), she has problems with sleep and is medicated to get her to sleep but when she's anxious the medication does not work.

Clam- i hope you find out whats up with your dd, its nasty when you don't know whats causing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now