Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD unidentified tummy pains

(4 Posts)
WillPenn Sun 18-Sep-11 13:52:52

DD has just started school and has been suffering for the last week with tummy pains in the area between belly button/pubic bone. She has recently had HSP which can cause tummy pain, so I took her back to A&E, but two doctors feeling her tummy could find nothing untoward. I asked them about doing a scan, but they seemed to think this unnecessary. They ruled out appendicitis based on the location of the pain.

She is pooing and weeing normally, and does not have an UTI as her urine has been tested three times. SHe has not been sick and she is eating normally, though sometimes complains of more pain after meals.

She is a bit of a drama queen, and can easily get herself in a pickle when she has scraped her knee etc. The doctors, and me, both suspect this is schoolitis on some level - but I'm worried at the same time that I may be being unfair and might have missed something serious. Anyone had a similar experience or got any ideas? I feel really bad as she is doing a lot of moaning and whining and I'm worried that by ignoring I'm ignoring something serious.

joruth Sun 18-Sep-11 15:12:23

Well, you have done all you can to exclude serious things.

2 medical thoughts..one is that school is stressful and some people really do feel stress as physical pain/sickness in their tummy...can even cause vomiting or diarrhoea

the other thought is that there is a condition called mesenteric adenitis...;where the lymph nodes in the tummy swell up and cause tenderness and pain ( like the lymph nodes in your neck when you have a sore throat or tonsillitis) so if she has a cold she may get this...it tends to be sporadic (ie happen from time to time) and is not at all serious though calpol may help

one non-medical thought...of course she gets lots of attention for being poorly so it is attractive for her...maybe she needs more attention for not being poorly. In my house sometimes we schedule a small treat at the weekend that we can only do if everyone is well during the week and illness free. Illness means only doing essential jobs and having a quiet time......

hope this is reassuring for you.

WillPenn Sun 18-Sep-11 19:36:47

Thanks for the wise words, joruth. I think plenty of attention when well, coupled with settling in at school will hopefully see it off. If it's still hanging around in a few weeks I may go back to the GP, though.

joruth Tue 20-Sep-11 17:40:14

sounds like a plan. Hope all is smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now