Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4yo just been diagnosed with epstein-barr virus

(5 Posts)
phdlife Sat 17-Sep-11 22:56:38

which is the one that causes glandular fever and/or mononucleosis.

the gp said "acute ebv is glandular fever" and "ds is right in the middle of it", so I guess that means ds has glandular fever????

and apart from rest, is there anything else I should be doing with him?

cheekeymonkey Sun 18-Sep-11 15:47:02

Passed on by saliva so avoid any kisses on lips from yourself or others, this is probably how he caught it poor mite.
His appetite might go so let him eat anything he wants to build him up a bit and I had complan when appetite went. I lost so much weight even my shoes didn't fit!
Basic calpol and nurofen advice for aches and pains.
Did you GP not give you any advice?

DecapitatedLegoman Sun 18-Sep-11 15:52:32

DS probably had this - we decided against bloods to confirm it because he was only 2.5 and a diagnosis wouldn't change anything. He was tired for a long, long time. Also has had problems with mesenteric adenitis subsequently. Just a case of sticking it out sadly.

I've seen your other thread, hope things are ok. Lots of cuddles and patience (get breaks where you can because it is so hard to find patience when they're exhausted).

phdlife Mon 19-Sep-11 23:22:19

gp didn't really say anything actually, just rest.

have been advised by other sufferers to get him on a vitamin. now just gritting my teeth. yesterday was epic over-tired hysteria for hours because his older cousin came over to play (quietly, but ds nonetheless got all wound up) while I had a medical appt of my own. :[

DecapitatedLegoman Tue 20-Sep-11 06:51:01

I gave DS Minadex mixed into a wee bit of orange juice. It made me feel better if nothing else.

If I had my time again I'd have gone back to the GP sooner and not just tolerated it - DS ended up having his tonsils removed a year later and it could probably have been done sooner but all of the tiredness merged into one and I didn't identify a separate problem until it had gone on for a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now