Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

lots of ear wax

(11 Posts)
Marne Fri 16-Sep-11 18:29:26

When should i worry about dd1's waxy ears? it keeps oozing out, i wiped her ears with a wet wipe yesterday (just so it looked cleaner) and this morning its oozing out her ear again. Should i be worried or is this normal? she's 7.

AKMD Fri 16-Sep-11 20:29:04

I would take her to the GP to have it checked over. It's probably nothing serious but it must be embarrassing for her.

ChippingIn Fri 16-Sep-11 20:31:35

My friend who is an audiologist assures me it's a good thing to have 'waxy' ears smile

Marne Fri 16-Sep-11 20:44:26

The GP has looked in her ears a few times and commented on the amount of wax but never seems too bothered, i'm starting to worry that it is effecting her hearing (or maybe she's just being a typical 7 year old and not listning to me). She hates me touching her ears as she has sensory issues (and Aspergers) so i'm trying to teach her to wipe them with a wet wipe or tissue just to remove the wax on the outside.

deemented Fri 16-Sep-11 20:47:54

My dd has very waxy ears and has recently been diagnosed with glue ear.

going Fri 16-Sep-11 20:48:25

I have three kids, the two with waxy ears don't have any hearing issues.

The one who doesn't have waxy ears does have issues. Her wax gets compacted blocking her ear canals. She also has glue ear and when she had gromits the dr commneted on how much wax he had to remove.

notcitrus Sat 17-Sep-11 13:04:53

My 3yo has waxy ears - given that we keep being told not to put cotton buds anywhere near the ear canal, how can I clean them given that the corner of a flannel is too big? Or does he just have to go round with orange earholes?!

My audiologist says I have the cleanest ears she's ever seen - because until I was pregnant I'd never produced earwax in my life, so I'm a bit at a loss of what to do with it. She also told me to feel free to keep drying my ears with cotton buds, just not to use them on a squirming child, which does seem sensible (ds hates his ears being touched).

beautifulgirls Sat 17-Sep-11 21:40:42

Are you sure this is just wax and not infection too? Ask the GP for a check

Bonsoir Sun 18-Sep-11 09:43:05

The easiest way IMO to deal with consistently waxy ears is to make sure that your child gets his/her head under water in the bath every night, and to wash ears with soap and water and rinse them with the shower attachment when you rinse his/her hair. And cotton buds shouldn't be inserted in the ear canal but are perfectly suitable for drying around the opening.

Marne Sun 18-Sep-11 21:46:42

I'm sure its just wax, GP has looked in her ears many times and just said ' oh, thats a lot of wax' smile.

Bonsoir- she hates having water anywhere near her ears due to her sensory issues sad, she hates me wiping them and i have to pin her down to do it (which is why i'm now teaching her to do it herself). I worry she will get picked on (even more) at school if she has dirty ears (she already gets picked on because of her Aspergers and her glasses) sad so i have to wipe them most days.

chloesmumtoo Tue 20-Sep-11 09:28:42

It is better to have waxy ears! My dd takes after my dp and has no wax coming out at all. Has problems with her ears and a nurse confirmed they were blocked and painful because of it. Took olive oil for 5 days in each ear to clear them out. Whereas my son takes after me and has waxy ears and has no problems with them blocking at all as they self clean inside removing the wax out of the ear. It is how it should be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now