Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

what is an innocent heart murmur?

(5 Posts)
miarosemum Fri 16-Sep-11 11:10:25

4 year old dd has an ongoing health problem which is being sorted, and completely unrelated to a heart problem but recently upon being given the once over by her doctor, was told that she has an innocent heart murmur...and that it is nothing to worry about. has anyone heard of this before?

AMumInScotland Fri 16-Sep-11 11:31:12

Yes my DS has (had?) one - it was noticed at his 3 year checks. It's just an extra bit of noise in the blood vessels in or around the heart, a bit like having a slightly gurgly radiator pipe in the house. If they have decided it is innocent, then that means its just a little bit of noise, and doesn't give her any sypmtoms, and it won't get worse or make her ill or anything.

As she gets older it may go away (just with all the blood vessels and things getting bigger) or the noise may still be there even when she's an aduly.

They often get noticed when the child is being checked out for something else entirely, but are nothing to wrry about.

I'm not sure if DS still has his or not - he's 17 and nobody has listened to his heartbeat for a long time!

saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 16-Sep-11 18:23:09

An 'innocent murmur' is a noise made by the blood flow in an otherwise structurally normal heart.

Has dd had any tests miarosemum? ECG? Echo (ultrasound)?

Acekicker Fri 16-Sep-11 19:09:19

this is what I wrote when it came up a few weeks ago.

Basically, because it has 'heart' in it, you worry but innocent ones are very much nothing to worry about.

CMOTdibbler Fri 16-Sep-11 19:15:13

I have mine - it just means my heart makes a slightly odd noise. I did have lots of tests to make sure, but that was in the context of having some other things going on that could have been heart

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now