Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

This is a weird tummy bug

(19 Posts)
BerylStreep Thu 15-Sep-11 19:17:12

My poor DD(6) isn't well. It started last Wednesday night, when she vomited before bed. I kept her off school on Thursday (when she vomited again in the afternoon) and Friday. She was still subdued and pale on Saturday, then came into our bedroom on Sunday morning, proudly announcing she was completely better!

I sent her to school on Monday, and she vomited at school. I kept her off on Tuesday, yet she was bright as a button. Great, I thought, back to school on Wednesday.

Today, poor DD was sick again this afternoon, stomach cramps, and is now sleeping.

8 days seems such a long time for a tummy bug to last, and it seems strange that she seems to be completely better, then has a relapse.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Rosa Thu 15-Sep-11 19:18:39

There is another thread right now that sounds excatly the same thing....

strictlovingmum Thu 15-Sep-11 19:32:31

Same here, today she felt better in herself enough to go to school, and today was the first day without the fever.
We saw doctor yesterday, he confirmed, "tummy flu" didn't give us anything for it.
I did make up big pot of chicken soup, which she ate well, and also I gave her lot of mint tea, it seemed to calm her stomach down, fingers crossed, give her plenty to drink, nothing sugary or milky, and good luck.sad
If it persists take her to see a doctor.

MissBetsyTrotwood Thu 15-Sep-11 19:41:49

Yes. My DS1 had something very similar at the start of the summer. Fine in the morning, eats, drinks as normal. Then around lunchtime, stomach cramps and vomits repeatedly until around bedtime then sleeps all night. Cycle begins again the next day.

Ours went on and on for nearly a fortnight and he'd not kept a meal down really that whole time. He was admitted to hospital and had a stomach x ray - they discovered he was 'fecally impacted' (poo blockage) and a course of Movicol was taken. He's been pretty much fine since then. It was a surprise though as he did poo every day - the block was further up apparently.

BerylStreep Thu 15-Sep-11 19:57:07

I took her to the GP on Monday, and he said to keep an eye on her. He didn't seem overly concerned, but wanted to us to check for signs of appendictis or kidney infection.

I am just so surprised it has made a return, after her being well on Tuesday and yesterday.

sassie23 Thu 15-Sep-11 20:11:10

This is exactly how we are!! DS1 10 months started vomiting fever diarrhoea at start of the month we ended up in hosp for fluids then he was absolutely fine for 7 days the sun night started again just vomiting this time stopped some of Monday started again early hours tues ended up at a and e admitted for fluids again. PoorDS2 started Sunday morning brightened up tues and was absolutely fine yesterday but just vomited out of the blue this afternoon. I've never experienced a bug to last this long I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the next thing. DS 2 was due to start pre school Monday and has missed an entire week he's so disappionted. Hope you are all coping better than me sad

strictlovingmum Thu 15-Sep-11 21:03:30

We had something again similar, fanny enough last September at the start of the school year, DS was first, then DD, me and then DH, I can only hope we are not heading that way now.
We missed work, DC's missed school, and house stunk.

sassie23 Thu 15-Sep-11 21:23:39

Let's hope it buggers off soon for everyone's sanity all I can say is I feel a little better knowing it's happened to other families too, I wish it hadn't obviously, but I was beginning to think it was something more sinister

strictlovingmum Thu 15-Sep-11 21:31:36

Hear, Hear sassie23, and try not to worry too much, in my opinion these tummy bugs are rife in particular this time of year, when children start mixing with large groups of other kids after long holidays, being in almost isolation, I feel for you tough.smile

largeginandtonic Fri 16-Sep-11 11:33:17

Hmmm dd been the same. I assumed some kind of infection as she has only been vomming (randomly) with a temp spike.

She started vomming on Saturday night, last time was yesterday breakfast. All over the table (joy).

She is mostly asleep, drinking a bit and nibbling occasionally. Have been to doc twice but he say's wait for it....'just a virus'.

She seem to have (finally) turned a corner today and has eaten a bit more and been herself. I am hoping to GOD this is it now.

After reading the other posts i am not terrified it will sweep round the rest of us! Nooooo!

sassie23 Fri 16-Sep-11 11:38:57

Yes I spent last night listening to my DH stomach gurgling thinking oh no if he goes down that's it. I'm just manically trying to wash everything in sight and keep hands clean etc etc but it's fighting the impossible off to scrub hands after using phone angry

sassie23 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:54:35

It's started again baby sick twice this afternoon

strictlovingmum Sat 17-Sep-11 07:31:54

Back with us this morning, DD again, she complained of headache all night and wanted to vomit but she didn't, I am at the end of my wits.
It seams to come and go, and has been going on for over a week, all of us sleep deprived and very tired.
I will strip the beds today and boil wash everything, I have to eradicate this bugs, as soon as she wakes up I am going to give her a bath.
Does anyone have any experience with NHS direct? Is it worth calling them to check about this headache? This worries a little.

sassie23 Sat 17-Sep-11 09:12:00

We don't have the same NHS direct service here in northern Ireland so not sure. If you're worried definitely give them a call that's what they're there for. Baby sleeping lots up this morning took bottle and little cereal but very pale and tired wanted to sleep half an hour later. Bit worried about that but health visitor yesterday said he'll be getting his energy back. I still feel terrible too so his knows how he feels. Think you're right about the washing if anything if makes you feel useful good luck and call them it won't hurt wink

strictlovingmum Sat 17-Sep-11 11:52:30

Well, I called them, they sounded very concerned and got local weekend surgery to give me a call, which they did, they also made appointment to see her today at 10.20.
Well we have been and came back now, it turns out she has tonsillitis and right ear infection, so has been given antibiotic so start right away.
Silly git of regular GP last Wednesday missed the whole thing and sent me home without antibiotic, so infection has been developing for several days now.
I am still in disbelief that a fully qualified doctor after examining a child can miss something as obvious as tonsillitis and simple ear infectionhmm
One the other hand well done NHS direct, really fast response, they sounded genuinely concerned about DD acted fast and professional, at the weekend surgery we saw a wonderful old generation doctor, very calm and very thorough who diagnosed DD very swiftly, so fingers crossed, good outcome.

BerylStreep Sat 17-Sep-11 12:28:10

Sassie, I am in NI too! Perhaps something going round locally?

sassie23 Sat 17-Sep-11 13:56:38

Glad you got answers Strictlovingmum you see you have to keep at them ! Berylstreep how is your DD ? My DS 1 seems completely recovered but baby vomited yesterday afternoon nothing since thank goodness. Today he just seems very tired and cranky not himself at all still eating and drinking normally so I suppose I just have to give him time just want him better at long last I'm in co Antrim

BerylStreep Sat 17-Sep-11 15:06:13

She's still not well. Vomited on Thursday tea-time, and then again last night. She is in quite good form in between.

Glad DS is better. Fingers crossed he stays that way.

sassie23 Sun 18-Sep-11 08:42:50

Baby vomited in cot this morning after 36 hours of being ok ?? Seems in ok form this morning though. I bought some of the powdered probiotics for infants and children yesterday going to see if they can help them on the road to recovery. Think I could do with some myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now