Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 month old just been diagnosed with reflux

(20 Posts)
Whathashappenedtomyboobs Tue 13-Sep-11 21:26:27

Hi, Took my DS to the doctors today with the following symptoms..
Vomiting, refusing food, hiccups, facial expressions that look like he has been sick in his mouth, coughing.

This has developed since he's been weaned. Doc thinks that because he's quite plump (90th line) and his tummy is a bit squashed and this is causing acid to leak from his tummy. She said the quantities him offering are fine but just to spread meals and milk out as much as poss and add Galveston to his morning bottle.

This evening after his bedtime feed he vomited again, then twitched intermittently for around 2 mins, almost like a tick.

Please if anyone has a child with these symptoms/reflux can you offer any advise to help his symptoms.

thanks

Fiolondon Wed 14-Sep-11 12:59:16

Hi.
Sorry to hear about this - must be very upsetting. Sometimes cranial osteopathy can help with reflux issues. Otherwise with my little one I had to keep him upright for at least 30 mins after each feed - which is a bit boring but saves a lot of vomit mopping. He eventually grew out of it but the osteopathy seemed to help a bit.
Good luck

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Wed 14-Sep-11 15:13:48

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to see how he is after a week if no improvement I'm going to take him back to the GP and look into your suggestion. Fingers crossed- it's so distressing seeing your little one vomiting.

narmada Wed 14-Sep-11 17:00:12

Ok,I am going to disagree with your GP. If it's only developed since you've weaned him then personally I think it is unlikely to suddenly be reflux. Reflux tends to be present from birth or shortly thereafter and tends to be worse when the diet is liquid (easier to vomit back up) as opposed to including some solids.

The symptoms you describe are much more likely to be caused by something new in his diet, and first on the list of suspicion is Cow's milk protein. YOus say it's started since weaning - do you mean you've stopped breastfeeding and introduced formula, or did you just mean you've introduced solid foods?

narmada Wed 14-Sep-11 17:02:35

Sorry, re-read and just saw the thing about twitching. Did you mention that to doc when you went? If not, I think it would be as well to nip him back to the GP and mention the twitching/ tic thing.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Wed 14-Sep-11 20:50:49

Hi thanks for coming back to me. I took DS to see health visitor today and she also seemed a bit confused when I told her what the GP said and also said this was very uncommon to reflux to present now.

Anyway come dinner time today he refused his food again, but took a little bit of greek yoghurt with apple puree. 30 mins later he vomited again, now though the muscle spasms (ticks) are more frequent. I took him to A&E after but got sent away and told to call the out of hours dr....we have an appointment at 11pm tonight.

He's been on formula since he was 3 months old, when I say weaning I mean onto solids.

Everything he has eaten he's had before- I can't for the life of me think what is causing this....I could cry I'm so worried something is seriously wrong.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Wed 14-Sep-11 20:58:40

Thought I'd list what he has eaten/I've offered in the last two days....
wholegrain organic baby cereal with formula
chicken sweet potato carrot and onion
Greek yoghurt and apple puree
toast
tiny bit of mango
plum yoghurt (brand)
cucumber

I also made him a pork and apple stew a week ago one day he was fine with it a few days later he vomited after.

I'm he's getting 20oz of Hipp stage 1 a day 5oz at a time.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Wed 14-Sep-11 21:45:08

Sorry my spelling is terrible, must re read before posting blush

bumbleymummy Thu 15-Sep-11 07:07:08

How old is he?

Laurale31 Thu 15-Sep-11 07:30:33

My ds has had had silent reflux and milk intolerance since around 3 months only symptoms back then were refusing food, he has never took much milk, when he started solids he started being sick And it took about 2 weeks for him to get over this, his wee body would twitch when he was really trying not to be sick,he knew it was coming, I gave him his solids first so he wasnt bringing up his whole bottle, and I wrote down all he was getting and giving the same for about 3 days to rule out there being any intolerance, there was no difference whatever he ate,

Keep at the doctors , it's horrible when u know something not right and they don't have the answers, sending hugs x

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Thu 15-Sep-11 17:58:35

Hi, thanks so much for coming back to me.

So last night we went to the out of hours doctor who sent us straight back to A&E, DS had high temperature, which came on around 9pm. We've been given antibiotics as they said his throat was very red and inflamed.

Re twitching they didn't really know why that was, but said if it happens again go back to the GP hmm Doctor said it may be excitement ( yeah I'm always thrilled when I vomit )

A&E called us this morning and asked us to go back for a urine test as he didn't wee the whole time we where in there last night 12pm until 3am. Urine fine- thank god.

Feel like we've got nowhere both myself, OH and DS are exhausted, but he does seem a little better today, he's playing on his mat now.

The GP is going to be sick of me, but I really don't care!

Fiolondon Fri 16-Sep-11 13:58:55

Hi. Have been thinking/worrying about you. Any news?

Heliopolis Sat 17-Sep-11 11:31:41

Solids only help reflux in 50% of children, with both mine it made them worse - solids cause delayed gastric emptying which exacerbates symptoms. Twitching can easily be trying to cope with acid which can go up as far as nasal cavities. Cows milk can make reflux worse too and it can take time for the intolerance to build. Any virus or teething will also make it worse. I have found GPs unsympathetic with reflux, ask for a gastric paediatrician soon. Good luck.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Mon 19-Sep-11 09:35:50

Hi well its been an interesting few days! OH and I are exhausted....I'm thinking the reflux diagnosis is wrong??! DS hasn't vomited since last Wednesday and thankfully the twitching has stopped. DS has been on antibiotics now since Thursday for his inflamed throat and temp, which is fine now. However nights in this household are a nightmare at the moment, DS has to be woken at 10pm to give him his medication then he starts crying and this continues on and off all night, I think it's a combination of his throat hurting and teething, he's also sinking loads more milk than normal - growth spurt???? He just wants cuddles.
I actually haven't slept yet and feel pretty close to tears, all this is really getting to me. we have a lot going on in this house, OH is long term ill and due to go in for major surgery in November, our house is on the Market so having to deal with bloody estate agents ... sorry I'll shut up what a whinger!

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Mon 19-Sep-11 09:44:53

um DS has just brought up a bit of his breakfast!!

Fiolondon Mon 19-Sep-11 10:03:04

Hi. Sounds like you have a good reason for having a whinge. Hope it feels better getting it off your chest. Each of those 3 things is stressful enough so altogether must be hideous! If you are not doing it already you might find that a bit of co-sleeping will let you provide comfort for your LO and sleep at the same time. A few nights at this young age while he's sick is not going to land you with him there until he's 4 if that's a concern. I was really anti cosleeping with my first - I didn't sleep well and wanted my own space but it really helped the few times he got sick. With my second she's been more needy and to get much sleep at all she normally ends up in with my by 3 or 4am. As long as I stop the habit by 9 or 10 months I'm sure we will not be 3 in a bed by the time she's a teenager. Obviously look up the sleep safe guidance about covers, smoking and drink/drugs/heavy sleeping partners tho.
HTH

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Mon 19-Sep-11 13:20:46

Thanks fiolondon, yes we have been co sleeping, the problem is he wants to sleep on me soon as I put him down he wakes and cries....

anyway, we do have some good news I managed to get him to sleep in his cot for two hours shortly after posting this morning, I crawled back into bed and passed out, feel almost human now!!!

Fiolondon Mon 19-Sep-11 13:46:19

Hooray! It's amazing what a power nap can do. Let's hope this is the start of his recovery and that his sleeping will improve overall. I remember with my first that one one sickness episode that I let him sleep on me while I was propped on pillows and managed to pass out like that. Only one night - but the sleep was worth it!

narmada Mon 19-Sep-11 14:09:08

It definitely sounds like some kind of nasty bug and I do hope he gets over it soon - you sound like you have one hell of a pile of things on your plate.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Mon 19-Sep-11 15:56:05

thanks, yes stressful times but I must stay positive or I will go mad haha!! Fingers crossed for sleep tonight smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now