Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Getting down with the 'nitty gritty'

(12 Posts)
ratflavouredjelly Mon 12-Sep-11 19:18:47

As school starts again, the dreaded nits appear. So far my DS(4) & DD (2.5) have avoided them. I've gone fir the nitty gritty comb - been advised by countless mums to comb conditioner once a week through my children's hair using the nitty gritty comb.

All well & good but they screamed like blue murder. I was being gentle but toddlers have a habit of wriggling. My daughter gas thick wavy hair which gets so tangled even with a wide comb and leave in conditioner. Any advice?

was planning to use the comb once a week as prevention. Do you thin it will get easier? Any testaments from others much appreciated !

ratflavouredjelly Mon 12-Sep-11 19:20:26

My god - appalling spelling. Last time I post from my iPhone. Keep pressing the wrong keys. Apologies for the dodgy grammar...

Seona1973 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:27:35

I dont like the nitty gritty much and prefer a shorter comb. I dont do the conditioner thing every week but do have a good visual check every time the kids get their hair washed. DD has only had them once since starting school and ds has avoided them so far (but has just started school so we'll see how he gets on)

Tidypidy Tue 13-Sep-11 22:25:14

we use vosene shampoo for kids which has tea tree in it to deter the nits, it's kept my dd nit free for a year now, it's in the adult section of shampoos in the supermarkets.

randomness Tue 13-Sep-11 23:17:06

My dd2 has very thick hair, we shampoo her hair in the bath and leave the conditioner to soak in for a few mins, then wash it off before using the Nitty Gritty after towel-drying the hair.
Her hair is detangled enough from this we don't have problems, don't think a leave in conditioner would detangle thick hair enough personally.

The Nitty Gritty is fab for thicker hair, dd1 has fine hair and the NG misses headlice so we use a normal plastic one for her.

zara206y Thu 29-Sep-11 14:23:28

Ok i was looking for a post on NITS cause i have to tell you about the best way to get rid of them. My sister told me to buy this comb...its called 'NITFREE'. You can buy it from Boots and when it wears out they will send a new one. It costs about £10 but worth more than any Gels,lotions or potions. It works by literally stripping each hair as its got grooves in each of the prongs..it strips the eggs off too! My son came back from his dads with NITTS again and i wash the hair and put conditioner in then use the comb to get them out. Rinse each stroke into fresh water, then i pour the water into the sink with the plug in. Eventually when you keep doing this and get down to seeing no eggs you know your clear. I will repeat the process about 2-3 days later just to be sure. Its the best thing i have in my cupboard as it works. FOrget the other cheap plastic combes as they miss the eggs..truely this is the one thing that i have found works over the years of my son being at school.

Seona1973 Thu 29-Sep-11 16:18:38

sounds ike the nitty gritty comb that has been mentioned already

boohoobabywho Thu 29-Sep-11 16:39:38

can i tell you that dd is in year 3 and has been plagued by the little blighters since she started school.

indeed the nittygritty comb is working for us but we had a problem in the begining because it pulled her hair. i expalined that i dont like them in her hair and think that the nits are unfair because they bite her and i dont want anyone biting her.

every sunday night ... bath, nit comb and a disney dvd. Just a mattter of routine!

zara206y Thu 29-Sep-11 20:41:37

The comb has a round bit at the top and long prongs from the bottom. It has grooves in the prongs too. Its all metal too.

Poledra Thu 29-Sep-11 20:46:58

I nitty-gritty my 3 DDs (2 with thick curly hair, one with fine straight hair) every Sunday. Hariwash and conditioner, then the opportunity to sit watching TV or playing on a DS and they're fine with it. It's actually quite soothing to do, like stroking a cat grin

Seona1973 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:17:11

zara206y - it is called the Nitty Gritty Nit Free comb so the comb you are talking about is the same one everyone else is talking about too

zara206y Fri 30-Sep-11 11:40:20

Durr !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now