Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollen insect bites

(10 Posts)
acrunchieandacupoftea Mon 12-Sep-11 19:03:21

What do you put on swollen insect bites? Suspect they may be from bed bugs.

DS is 4.

He has one swollen bite on each ankle.

They look really big. Not sure if I should just leave them.

dikkertjedap Mon 12-Sep-11 19:07:56

If it is closed and does not look inflamed (e.g. red) but is very itchy then something to release the itch for example eurax lotion or cream and also piriton if can't sleep from the itch. If it is red then I would disinfect with diluted TCP and if no marked improvement after one day see the GP as he might need anti-biotic cream in that situation. (if itchy you can still give piriton and if closed (not scratched open) eurax lotion or cream (over the counter in Boots pharmacy section)).

dikkertjedap Mon 12-Sep-11 19:08:14

sorry, relieve not release

acrunchieandacupoftea Mon 12-Sep-11 19:20:08

it turned up yesterday but instead of disappearing has become big and swollen with a clear liquid blister on the top (maybe due to school shoes?)

dikkertjedap Mon 12-Sep-11 19:22:20

sorry, really don't know what it could be if it has a blister now. Maybe there is a doctor or nurse around on mumsnet who can advise you.

Stropperella Mon 12-Sep-11 19:47:06

I usually dose with antihistamine. It usually works to reduce inflammation and itch and dry the bite up. If it looks at all like it might be infected, you should visit the GP.

Seona1973 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:30:56

if they are on his ankles then it sounds like it could be from fleas. Could also be chicken pox if it has blistered

pamplemousserose Mon 12-Sep-11 20:37:38

Piriton orally. Draw round it and if gets any bigger take him to the doctor.

acrunchieandacupoftea Mon 12-Sep-11 21:08:37

Fleas. Oh help. He just started school could he have got fleas at school? Don't fleas live on animals?

Seona1973 Mon 12-Sep-11 21:34:38

They live on animals but will bite humans too. When my mums dogs have fleas I normally get bites around my ankles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now