Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Positional Talipes - self correcting?

(7 Posts)
Zimbah Mon 12-Sep-11 13:47:41

DD was born with positional talipes in both feet, which apparently happens from being squashed up in the womb. Not the 'club foot' kind where the foot turns inwards, the other kind where the foot turns outwards (talipes calcaneovalgus, I've been Googling). She was seen as a newborn by the physio who gave some stretching exercises and said it should self-correct.

She's now 4 months, her right foot looks totally normal but her left foot still looks a little bit twisted outwards. I asked the GP at the 8 week check and he said it was 'varus' but should self-correct. I'm just wondering how long it will take before it's totally normal. I don't want to bother the GP again if it's usual to take many months before it totally corrects. But I'm concerned that if it stays like it currently is, it might affect her walking and we could find out that she should have been treated earlier.

Any advice?

MrsBloomingTroll Wed 14-Sep-11 18:24:57

My DC2 also has this, was told it should self-correct by 6 weeks.

To be on the safe side, I'm consulting a physio. She said it looked as if it would self-correct but I'll take DC2 back when he's 6 weeks to see what she says.

Zimbah Thu 15-Sep-11 21:19:13

Thanks for the reply. I think I might take DD back to the GP again, I'd rather be paranoid mummy than "oops left if too late and now your foot's knackered" mummy.

lubeybooby Thu 15-Sep-11 21:22:10

My DD has this and I had to massage it twice a day for three months, and it was fine by the end of that time. The massage I was shown was sort of a downward stroking one, sort of gently stretching I suppose to where the foot should be. I think if you keep up with that kind of thing or whatever you were shown to do then it will be fine smile

rushofbloodtothefeet Thu 15-Sep-11 21:23:02

My DS had the inward turning variety, both soles touching. We were given the exercises and stretches to do and it did mostly self correct quite rapidly. When nappy changing his feet would still fall 'naturally' back into that position for a long time though. It completely disappeared once he started weight-bearing (about 7 months or so)

Imnotaslimjim Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:30

My DS was born with this too and like Rushofblood's DS, the soles of his feet touched. It was still noticable in one foot when he finally started walking at 17 months but once he was upright it sorted itself out. We did consult the gp several times and even visited physio but they all said it was self correcting and even after all that time, it did.

nellymoo Thu 15-Sep-11 21:32:23

My DS also had/has positional talipes, turning in with soles touching. We did the exercises, he had a fibreglass splint, then a boot and at 18 months it's just about correcting itself. Definitely much better since he has been walking, and improving all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now