Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can a 7 mo have shingles?

(3 Posts)
TettyLouBar Mon 12-Sep-11 08:30:14

Hi all. DD 1 (3yo) had chicken pox back in feb and had horrific symptoms but only about 8 spots, DD2 was 6 weeks at the time and was symptom free but had a spot on her bum!
But last week DD2 (now 7.5 months) developed a raised bumpy cluster rash on her knee, it was there about 5 days then the bumps scabbed over and are now very slowly healing. Doesn't seem to bother her at all. Any ideas? shingles?

Ebb Mon 12-Sep-11 12:04:37

I looked after a baby who caught chickenpox from his db at 8wks old and then got shingles at 8mths. He was pretty poorly with it. I think the shingles rash is really painful so if your DD isn't bothered by it then it's probably not. ( I could be totally wrong about that though! ) It might be worth getting a Doctor to have a look?

biglips Mon 12-Sep-11 12:12:10

take a look on my profile at the first pic. my dd2 caught shingles (twice since oct) but i wasnt aware that she ever caught chickenpox. i do know what chicken pox looks like as my dd1 had them but not caught shingles yet (never i hope), but the shingles will be dormant forever in dd2's immune system sad...was told whenever she be very run down (which is rare), she may come out in shingles again. so her first was in october and second was in january this year but none since then. shingles is contagious too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now