Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Trapped wind in 11wo DD, how can I help her?

(9 Posts)
Catonkey Sun 11-Sep-11 08:38:00

For the last 3 nights DD has groaned and grunted through most of the night, even crying out every now and then sad

She kicks her legs lots, pulling them up and then going stiff as a board, every now and then a little wind escapes.

When she's awake she's a happy and sociable baby. I do wind her well after each feed, I'm mostly BF or bottle feeding EBM with 1-2 formula feeds each day. We have been mixed feeding for nearly 3 weeks now so its not like she's had a sudden change. I'm at a loss as to how to ease her obvious discomfort.

She is on Infant Gaviscon for reflux which I know can cause constipation so she has small doses of lactulose daily too.

Catonkey Sun 11-Sep-11 19:58:56

Bump smile

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 11-Sep-11 20:03:26

Have you tried the usual infacol/gripe water and colocynth granules? I also used to place them on their back, do a very gentle bicycle motion with their legs a few times and then gently ease their knees backwards towards their stomachs - with impressive results! Also maybe worth trying baby massage?

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoCunt Sun 11-Sep-11 20:05:06

Lie her on her back, hold both feet in one hand and push them towards her head so her knees go towards her shoulders and her feet are over her waist (iygwim). I was told to do this with ds at a similar age when he was constipated and it literally pumped the wind and poo out of him!

Catonkey Sun 11-Sep-11 20:21:59

I give her Infacol before feeds and have been trying the bicycle legs - however i have not pushed her knees back into her tummy/shoulders as described, I'll give it a go before i change her nappy later! Thanks for your quick responses smile

p.s. if i end up covered in poop i will hold either one or both of you responsible grin note to self - do this sideways on

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 11-Sep-11 20:53:05

Ahh yes, I should have warned you about that - I bore the full force of DC3's projectile poop one night after bicycling his wee legs!

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoCunt Mon 12-Sep-11 13:17:07

How's she doing today?

Yep, you have made me realise I forgot one point - do keep a nappy between you and her bum...... grin

Catonkey Tue 13-Sep-11 22:50:29

Well it took a few attempts but we had a major, MAJOR breakthrough at 5am (ish) this morning, 4 nappies later! Poor girl was literally full of it!

Thanks so much for the tips, will continue to do this regularly to help her smile plus we start baby massage next week and on GP's say-so have upped her lactulose dosage to try and keep things moving.

Fingers crossed we all get a better nights sleep tonight.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 14-Sep-11 13:11:49

So glad she is a happier wee thing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now