Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Kidney damage following HSP. Anyone with experience?

(12 Posts)
clam Fri 09-Sep-11 20:46:15

DD contracted HSP (Henoch-Schonlein Purpera) when she was 4yo. (Is now just 13) She developed complications with her kidneys and has been treated on and off at GOSH (as an outpatient) ever since. Although she has 8% irreparable damage to her kidneys through scarring, she has been in pretty much perfect health. Her proteinuria has been nil, bloods always test OK. She leads a totally normal life.

Last week she came out in a horrendous allergic rash. During emergency Out Of Hours treatment they tested her urine and it had protein in it. I wouldn't particularly worry about that, as it can happen for all sorts of reasons, like a virus, but ever since she has been complaining of feeling unwell - nauseous, tummy pain, headaches and backache (no temperature). When asked where the pain is in her back she points to both kidneys.

Took her to the GP last night, who took it seriously and is running a load of tests - bloods, urine, blood pressure etc... Waiting for results.

I guess my question is, it is possible or likely for kidney damage to resurface after all this time. I don't think it's HSP again - the rash was totally different, but the lethargy and aches sound familiar.

Has anyone else any experience of this sort of thing? Need my hand holding!
TIA

beautifulgirls Fri 09-Sep-11 22:14:09

Just wanted to say I hope all is ok for her. I can't give you any ideas about this for your DD, but hope perhaps it is just something routine that could affect anyone and will be fine very soon.

DD#3 just had kidney failure from septicaemia and though recoving well is in the proteinurea stage and being monitored, bloods good. Let us know how you get on with her.

clam Fri 09-Sep-11 22:22:51

Thanks.
Unfortunately, she is awake crying in pain (from back) despite haveing had pain relief and a heat pad. Don't really know what else to do.

Northernlurker Fri 09-Sep-11 22:31:16

Was her blood pressure normal when taken yesterday?

clam Fri 09-Sep-11 22:55:51

Hmm, am blush to say I don't know! Dr didn't say, and I was distracted by DD clutching my arm afterwards and saying (for the first time) she was worried.
Did notice that he wrote that there was localised tenderness in her tummy.

Northernlurker Fri 09-Sep-11 23:00:17

Ok well that probably means it was normal then. I think he would have said if not.

Clearly your dd is quite a complex case. I think you just need to react to what's in front of you atm. Your GP will get to the bottom of things but for now - if she in pain and pain relief available to you isn't working then you need to go back to out of hours/A&E.

clam Fri 09-Sep-11 23:15:18

Thanks northern.
She's fallen asleep now, thankfully, so the Calpol must have taken effect. We have to use that, despite her age, as she has a bit of a phobia about taking tablets - they stick in her mouth and she freezes and refuses to swallow. Record was 45 minutes with a malaria tablet in her mouth!
But you're right, if it doesn't improve I will have to take her back down. Although I don't know what they can do. We just have to sit and wait for the bloods etc... to come back. If they show any issues I expect we'll be heading back to GOSH.
Fingers crossed it won't come to that.
Thanks for your time.

Northernlurker Fri 09-Sep-11 23:22:34

If you need to go back you may well find the hospital can get the blood results. In any case the blood test to check renal function doesn't take very long to do. Urine testing etc takes much longer because you're waiting for stuff to grow - or not. Hopefully things are settling now though.

beautifulgirls Sat 10-Sep-11 17:55:44

How is she today?

clam Sun 11-Sep-11 09:27:28

Just seen this. Slightly better - been out and about and to a party, but tired and stomach ache upon return.
Having a lie-in this morning.
Thanks for asking.

beautifulgirls Sun 11-Sep-11 20:55:07

Hope this is the start of a full recovery smile

WillPenn Wed 14-Sep-11 19:48:55

Hi there beautiful. Hope your DD is better now. My DD is 5 and developed HSP in June. She is now on her third bout of symptoms, which seem to be getting milder each time. She has had numerous urine tests and the protein has never gone about +1 and never any blood.

It seems to me that the complaint hangs around a lot longer than some doctors would have you believe - so perhaps she's having a slight recurrence? I hope you've got some answers now - in the meantime anything you can tell me about your experience of HSP I'd be most grateful as I'm feeling a bit in the dark about. The latest GP I saw didn't even twig what I meant until I spelled it out to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now