Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

calpol every night for teething?

(4 Posts)
fireflyz Fri 09-Sep-11 19:08:50

Hi
I've read on the calpol and baby nurofen boxes that they shouldn't be given for more than 3 days in a row without consulting the doctor.

We have given calpol every night for more than 3 nights, because our son seems to be in a lot of pain with teething.

We don't always give it during the day though.

OK or not OK?

musttidyupmusttidyup Fri 09-Sep-11 19:13:43

Ok I think. I understand it to mean don't do more than 3 days on max dose- once a day should be fine. Alternate daily with neurofen if worried?

Galena Fri 09-Sep-11 20:24:22

I think the concern is that if you are giving it for pain/temperature it might be covering up something serious. We used to give it every night for teething. Having said that, we were going to the doctors fairly often for different problems, so I probably mentioned it and they just said 'oh that's fine'

4lizardsandababy Fri 09-Sep-11 21:55:09

hi, it depends for how long you are giving it every night I think. I have seen chilldren with kidney failure, having had calpol every 4hrs for 3days so that is obviously the risk. That is obviously the extreme and I'm sure one dose per day at night isn't going to cause any long term damage but would probably only give it for 1week. Have you tried teething granules and teething gel? Teething is a nasty business and obviously if your DC is in pain then give it but do be wary of overuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now