Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice please! DD is threatening to give up on her brace because...

(39 Posts)
SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 11:49:21

...she can't close her mouth, chew, or sleep with it in. It's for pulling her lower jaw forward: it has these plastic bits that stick up to stop her jaw from moving back. Apparently they're fairly common.

She's been told to wear it all day and all night or she'll need it for longer (but she can take it out for cleaning). She hasn't been able to sleep with it in (but it has been only two nights), or eat anything that needs mouth movement. She was supposed to be able to eat properly again eventually, but I have no experience with this so I don't know how long its likely to be...

Any advice please because she's already thinking of giving up on it and I'd rather be able to persuade her not to!

beautifulgirls Fri 09-Sep-11 11:57:51

Ooh tough one. Total sympathy for her, must be really horrid to get used to. I would suggest you take it really slowly with her and comprimise immediately into day wear only for a week just to let her get used to it, but on the understanding she has to start wearing it at night after that. Without scaring her too much, but saying enough to make her realise too then just try and help her understand that by not wearing it and allowing it to do the job the alternatives are either regret later in life having passed up the chance to do this now, or possibly if there are other ways of managing this? Eg is surgery on her jaw an option? - talk about those and suggest she really would probably prefer not to have those other options??

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 12:03:25

No, surgery wouldn't be an option, we couldn't afford it if we wanted to!
Would wearing it just in the day work still? And also she still won't be able to eat which is a major problem. She has taken a flask of soup to school today but that's all she could get down (that's portable and she likes).

Pantone Fri 09-Sep-11 12:04:56

I am fully expecting my dd1 to be like this when she has her brace fitted next year. I would insist she leaves it in for another day or so and make an appt at the dentist to have it checked.

TheOriginalNutcracker Fri 09-Sep-11 12:09:02

Is it her first brace ?? How long has she had it in for ??

Dd2 has got a upper removable brace at the moment, that is wodening her top jaw. She found it impossible to eat properly for the first few days but she did get used to it.

She is getting the brace your dd has in 3 weeks as she also needs her lower jaw bringing forward.

All I can say is that it is so worth it. Dd has only worn her upper brace since February of this year and it has already made such a difference.

I kept dd dosed up with calpol for the first few days too btw as this seemed to help.

TheOriginalNutcracker Fri 09-Sep-11 12:09:29

widening

mistlethrush Fri 09-Sep-11 12:09:43

Why has she not been able to sleep in it?

I had my top teeth all pushed backwards when I was about 13 - took 2 yrs in total (probably not what you wanted to hear). I'm really glad I did because I think I would not have been happy smiling properly if I hadn't had it done.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 12:15:57

TheOriginalNutcracker It's been in since th day before yesterday, so not long. I think the main problem stems from there being a brace at the top and the bottom which prevents her from being able to move her mouth at all.

mistlethrush She hasn't been able to sleep in it probably because it presses on her at all angles and she can't close her mouth. I also had a brace as a teen, for several years - and it was nothing near as horrible as this contraption!

mistlethrush Fri 09-Sep-11 12:22:01

I had one of the ones where you had to stick in a 'cats whisker' that comes out of your mouth onto rings on your back teeth - so you could attach elastic bands to something going round the back of your neck. After 6mo of no movement, I had another thing added, with springs this time, and a plate that stopped my teeth being able to touch properly. Didn't help that I had one of those cellular blankets with holes and sometimes would wake up tangled up with that and unable to breathe or free myself...

mistlethrush Fri 09-Sep-11 12:33:17

Sorry, that wasn't meant to come across as 'mine was worse than yours'. They're all different, some will be worse than others. Some are really uncomfortable (mine hurt a lot, every night). However teeth are something that you have to live with for (hopefully) all or most of the rest of your life - they can have a big effect on your appearance which is, unfortunately, so important. Those two years I had my brace weren't great from the point of view of the brace - but at least I don't have to go through the rest of my life wishing that I'd made the effort to sort it out at that age.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:00:46

LOL...I went through several stages of brace-wearing, but none of them had springs, that's a new one on me!

I was hoping someone would know the exact braces I am talking about and be able to reassure me/DD that she will miraculously be able to move her mouth enough to eat soon.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:01:33

Oh. Rings...not springs. Whoops.

mistlethrush Fri 09-Sep-11 13:07:24

Rings on back teeth.... Springs (on something round back of head) creating more traction than just the elastic bands to pull back teeth.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:10:36

Oh I see. Sorry, trying to google at the same time, and it's not helping my concentration!

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 09-Sep-11 13:17:59

Both my dc's have had similar issue with jaws and started off with removeable brace and bit of plastic on lower jaw - is this what your dd has?

The first few days are really, really hard. It does mean non-chewy food at first and dosing up with calpol especially at night. It will certainly be uncomfortable 2 days in - it sort of gets worse before it gets better. Try a few more days and if she's still in discomfort get an appointment with the orthodonist to review.

Once you're past this stage and move on to fixed braces it's all a lot easier. I have very wonky teeth because i used to take my removeable brace out at every opportunity - something I really regret now.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:25:17

GrungeBlob Not sure if its the same - they're both removable, with the one at the top having a lot of plastic sticking down and the one at the bottom having two kind of fangs sticking up. It is physically impossible for her to close her mouth with them in, and she can't get food inbetween them to chew even if it is soft. Does that sound similar?

tabulahrasa Fri 09-Sep-11 13:29:36

DS had something to pull his bottom jaw forward that sort of thing

but he took it out to eat

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:38:53

tabulahrasa That's the one. I'd call it a DysFunctional Appliance though! Er, very bad puns aside, she's been told not to take them out when eating, and she told me her teeth feel wobbley when she does remove them. Was your DS told it was OK to do this or did you just see it as the only way to eat solid food?

Also...are they supposed to fit together like that from the start or do they eventually move into position?

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 09-Sep-11 13:44:17

I have been updating a thread here about dds experiences with those sort of braces. Might be reassuring for your dd to read.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 09-Sep-11 13:45:09

actually - scrap that idea - I started off really negative - maybe you read it and precis it!

mrswoodentop Fri 09-Sep-11 13:47:32

OMG I am dreading this ,my ds2 is going to have a brace soon ,he is 14 and dyspraxic with sensory issues there is no way he will be able to cope with anything that uncomfortable,even the feel of his glasses on his face is a problem sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 09-Sep-11 13:49:39

I'm sure you know the more she wears it and especially if she eats with them the faster they will be. The only thing dd couldnt eat after a few days was spaghetti (as she had no idea where it was in her mouth.) She was very determined to make them work despite my qualms. She did find it difficult to close her mouth at first but that again improved as did the speech.

The wobbly bit is because the teeth are held in by ligaments (I learned that here!) and so they do allow a bit of movement.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:53:05

OhYouBadBadKitten thanks, I think that may be helpful for DD to read - the negative as well as the positive, as it puts what she is going through into perspective.

I think I will advise her to take it out when she eats...at least at home, that way she will be able to eat more solid food and maybe because she won't be hungry she might sleep better too! I will also make sure she has painkillers at regular times for a few days, as she's too proud to keep asking, the daft girl.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 13:54:58

Buuuut...how can she eat using them if she can't get food inbetween them? there's no gap! She can't open her mouth wide enough!

mistlethrush Fri 09-Sep-11 13:55:14

Just seen that what I had was apparently called a 'facebow'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now