Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How can I boost my 7yr olds immune system?

(9 Posts)
Twirl Fri 09-Sep-11 09:24:46

My 7yr old DD has lots of high temperatures when ill, probably hereditary as my Dh did as a child. Everytime an illness is going round at school she will get it but whatever the illness it always manifests in her as a high temperature (varies between 38.5-40). Sometimes it is only a 24 hour thing, sometimes up to 4 days. We have been told that she will grow out of it and that because we moved countries last year she is now picking up new germs and building resistance to them. All makes sense. I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to keep her as healthy as possible, hence the post, so please offer me any advice you can on supplements, immunity boosting foods etc. She is a good eater, prefers fruit and vegetables to everything else (especially tomatoes!), takes a multi-vitamin each day, has plenty of fresh air and exercise. Is there anything else you can suggest might help ward off these temperatures?

Curiousmama Fri 09-Sep-11 09:26:49

The only thing I can suggest apart from what you're doing is Belladonna homeopathic remedy when the fever starts. I used to use it on my 2 when drugs wouldn't touch it. Worked for them.

Hope you get some more ideas soon?

Curiousmama Fri 09-Sep-11 09:28:14

Some info on there

nightcat Fri 09-Sep-11 09:57:11

I think your dd is OK and I don't think you need to boost her immune system any further. That's b/c it's the immune system that's reacting to germs by raising the temp grin you prob don't want to boost it further.
I reckon it will settle in time with sunshine (vit D).
Would just say that give her plenty of rest when/if unwell to speed up the recovery.

Twirl Fri 09-Sep-11 10:37:29

Thanks Curiousmama and nightcat. We have tried Belladona in the past and it seemed to work better when she was younger, but not so much now. It is just so hard for her as she hates being off school. She is very good at resting, currently tucked up in bed, sipping orange juice and listening to audio cd's. Bless her!

Curiousmama Fri 09-Sep-11 12:43:17

What a good girl hating being off school!! smile

Was it 30C you tried? I think the higher the number the more potent so maybe try 50? Think you'd have to order that though? If you know anyone who's a homeopath they'd advise.

Twirl Fri 09-Sep-11 12:50:04

Oooo, yes it was 30C. I'll pop to our health shop tomorrow to ask about a stronger potency. Thanks!

Curiousmama Sat 10-Sep-11 17:59:33

ok hope it helps? That article I linked is interesting.

sailorsgal Sat 10-Sep-11 18:43:32

Ds and I took olive leaf extract last winter and neither got as much as a cold. There is a children's formula and is available from health food shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now