Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Peanut butter sandwiches vs allergies

(11 Posts)
phlossie Thu 08-Sep-11 21:02:12

What's the thinking about peanut butter sandwiches in packed lunches?

My DS is a massive peanut butter fan and is sick of cheese, but I've always been really reluctant to make him peanut butter sandwiches in case he's in contact with a child with allergies. There's no 'policy' on peanut butter at his school, so I assume that means there's no child with allergies, and I've got as far as putting the knife in the jar, but I just can't do it! I'd feel so awful if I was the cause of a reaction...

Cleverything Thu 08-Sep-11 21:03:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cleverything Thu 08-Sep-11 21:04:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flisspaps Thu 08-Sep-11 21:06:02

If there is a child at the school that it would cause an issue with, I would have thought that all parents would have been made aware if it was necessary. They will also have an epipen available so if they did have a reaction, it could be dealt with.

I worked in a school where there were a few children with horrendous nut allergies, and there was no kind of 'Nut Policy' or ban on anything with nuts in.

Make your son the butties smile

TastyMuffins Thu 08-Sep-11 21:08:29

No policy, no problem. Send in the nuts. I often put peanut butter or nuts in my DS's packed lunch or snack and refuse to avoid nuts unless there is a clear reason to. Apparently there are children with nut allergies in his class but no one has ever said anything about how that should affect my DS's snacks. Only thing I would do is not send nutty stuff to share with everyone when they have a party for the same reason that I wouldn't send non-halal stuff, it's not fair if they can't all eat it.

phlossie Fri 09-Sep-11 13:40:51

Sounds good. I will double check with school first, but DS will be delighted!

clarence1972 Fri 09-Sep-11 23:51:54

As a parent of nut allergic children please don't. Even a smear left on the table could cause a serious reaction in a child. Just because there are no policies in place does not mean that there are not allergic children in the school, some might not have been diagnosed yet and allergies can get more serious with each reaction.

Although an epi pen would "deal with it" would you want to put a child through an extremely scary and potentially life threatening reaction that would result in them being blue lighted to hospital?

Its great that you are asking the question and believe me i always feel awkward and uncomfortable asking others to modify their behaviour because of my childrens allergies, but having witnessed a serious reaction i firmly believe that peanut butter is best enjoyed at home! (just wish i could , love the stuff but is of course seriously off limits to me now!!smile)

TastyMuffins Fri 09-Sep-11 23:58:16

If a smear left on the table could cause a serious reaction then this needs to be made clear to all involved in the child's care so they can decide if they need to introduce a policy. I firmly believe it is wrong to make children fear possible nut allergies and be anxious about something that is a normal food.

clarence1972 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:03:47

I do agree with you but was just trying to point out that the seriousness of an allergy may not be recognised. Initially a child may just have a rash but the next exposure could cause a life threatening reaction, many parents and teachers are not aware of this.

Of course children shouldnt be made to feel anxious or fearful, but even very young children can understand that food that they like and is good for them can be dangerous to others, my childrens friends have never had a problem with this and none of them are anxious or fearful.

My kids are also allergic to other foods and I would not suggest that they are all banned from school but there are so many alternatives to peanuts it seems silly to risk it.

Before we were affected I may well have felt the same as some of you, just trying to give an alternative opinion.

Mine start reception next week, thankfully at a school which has very good policies and procedures in place to keep them safe. I had to go through an appeal to get this as the school I was allocated did not have any of this despite a young child there having a nut allergy.

phlossie Sun 11-Sep-11 14:43:54

You're exactly why I asked the question, Clarence. I have a friend whose child has serious allergies, so I know how much she lives in fear. My children know about his allergies.

I know what messy eaters small children are, and worry that it could be transmitted inadvertantly. And it seems pointless to put anyone at risk when there are alternatively sandwich fillings. On the other hand I don't want to be ridiculous about it.

cookielove Sun 11-Sep-11 14:53:19

i agree with Clarence, i work in childcare so a different setting and we provide all the food, but we have a very clear no nut policy. We currently have 2 children with nut allergies, although 1 of them is very severe, and like Clarence said his reactions are progressive, he won't grow out of it, they will kill him, and that is why we do everything we can to protect him and his peers from a reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now