Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Red spot rash all over babys body :-(

(6 Posts)
louloupoo Thu 08-Sep-11 19:43:10

My 12mo ds has a rash ALL over his body. It started on tues on his tummy and back. I thought it most likely a heat rash but on weds it had spread to his arms and legs. By thurs (today) it was all over his body, on backs of his hands, his face and feet. I took him to the dr and saw a nurse practitioner who suggested it was just a viral infection. She said that it should clear up in a couple of days. I'm just concerned. Watching him in his bath tonight it looks awful. He doesn't have a temp and seems generally quite happy in himself. He is slightly off his food but is drinking plenty of water and has plenty of wet nappies. His poos are slightly loose and a little pale but other than that he seems ok. Has anyone gone through something similar with their LOs?

fourkids Thu 08-Sep-11 21:37:52

Didn't want to leave you unanswered...and don't have any huge pearls of wisdom I'm afraid, apart from to reassure that if one of my DCs (who are all much older than that now) had, or had had, a rash, no raised temperature, and were generally well...and I'd taken professional advice...I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Kids get loads of viruses...

only one question - has he had rubella jab? My experience of rubella is quite a scary looking rash all over but barely ill. Not that you'd be particularly worried about rubella either I suspect smile

beautifulgirls Thu 08-Sep-11 21:39:49

Lots of rashes are like this without ever having an identifiable cause. DDs have done similar as they have grown up through baby and toddlerhood, usually improves after a few days. I think so long as he is well in himself that is the most important thing here. If you are not happy with how he is doing then see the doc again.

Ferchel Thu 08-Sep-11 22:52:10

Have you, or the nurse, done the glass test? If the rash doesn't disappear when you press a glass on to it then call your doctor or NHS Direct as this could be a sign of meningitis.

larrygrylls Fri 09-Sep-11 15:26:00

Roseola?

Did your son have a highish fever (but no other real symptoms) for a couple of days before the rash came out? Apparently, it is the illness which is identifiable by the fever going on the day the rash starts.

Our son had it. It lasted about a week before it went completely and was really ugly. However, he was not that bothered by it.

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Sep-11 15:31:31

Has he had any new clothes or have you changed washing powder? Daft Q I know, but something very similar happened to DS at 6 months, rushed him to docs, and was diagnosed with - ecxzema! (sp!!!). Was down to a packet of new sleepsuits. Washed them in non-bio a few times, and all was well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now