Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nits! Are there different types? ( Or am I just getting old and blind?)

(7 Posts)
marge2 Wed 07-Sep-11 13:08:53

We have had a few visitations of the little buggers since the lads started school. Now in Y4 and Y2. Managed to get rid of them easily before using Derbac M and the nitty gritty comb. Noticed DS2 scratching at the end of the summer term. Looked and found eggs and couple of live lice easily. Got rid. We were on holiday abroad the last two weeks of the hols, didn't have my nit killing tools with me. DS2 scratching again. Looked, and found a couple of eggs, which I pulled off, but could NOT see anything crawling despite checking really obsessively every time DS2 sat still, for days on end. Perhaps they got washed off in the pool?? (Swimming the whole time.)

Been checking every day this week as he was scratching, but could not see a thing.

School started today, so just in case, last night I got the nitty gritty comb out last night and did a wet comb. Bloody loads of the horrid things came out. Why couldnt I see them??? I have never had trouble spotting them before? I don't THINK I have problems with my eyes??

Thank God I got rid of them before school started.

ramade Wed 07-Sep-11 14:13:03

Think they have advise wet combing twice a week for a few weeks after you have found them, to deal with unhatched eggs.

marge2 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:32:25

Well I feel like doing it every single night from now on to be honest. Still cannot understand why I didn't see them though. I've always spotted them easily before.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 09-Sep-11 11:22:32

When you see the eggs is it actually the eggs or the nits?

The nits are white and are glued onto the shaft of hair (empty egg cases)
The eggs are smaller, brown colour.

When I condition-comb I sometimes get one or two large adults but if they've been active there are several of the live eggs or the tiny baby lice. Then you know the whole cycle has started again confused

I don't know about swimming pool water killing them (all the foreign pools I've been in have had minimal chlorine)
But I used a permenant hair dye when I'd caught them from my DC. But even 20 minutes of hairdye didn't kill them shock

Elibean Fri 09-Sep-11 14:16:18

Funny you should bring this up...

dd has had nits twice (now in Y3, not bad going). First time they were pale brown, the second time they were very dark - nearly black. And I swear the second lot moved faster than the first lot. Both easy to spot (fair hair, fine and not much of it) but they really did look different - and one lot (can't remember which) was easier to get rid of than the other.

I used Hedrin Once, but actually used it twice smile

hiccymapops Fri 09-Sep-11 14:20:47

I'm always reading these threads, as I'm paranoid about ds getting them ( been lucky so far ) but why is it impossible to read anything about nits, without getting an itchy head?! I'll once again be asking dh to check me tonight, I must stop reading these grin.

Laurale31 Sat 10-Sep-11 09:05:52

Head lice change colour to be camouflaged in the hair, seen some that had changed in blonde hair- could hardly c them, use nit comb every couple of days but it's really important to repeat the nit lotion treatment as it doesnt kill eggs so they will hatch after 7 days, horrible little things! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now