Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Babys 1st bump to head!

(5 Posts)
BenRoo Tue 06-Sep-11 20:07:57

Advice needed....
10mo DS has just slipped and bashed the side of his head/cheek.
His 1st knock hence slightly neurotic post
He cried/panicked for a bit as did i then was fine,fed and settled in cot.
He's got a raised line on his face where he hit the chest of drawers and I'm sure there'll be a bruise
Do I need to do anything???
Check on him during his sleep perhaps??
Somebody put my mind at ease please

KATC2010 Tue 06-Sep-11 20:34:20

After a bump to the head you are usually advised to watch the baby/child for any change in behaviour. I have in the past been advised to check that child is rouseable during the evening/night if it is a bump close to bedtime as you may not have a chance to notice if there is any sign of drowsiness. If in the next couple of days there was any unusual vomiting or change such as things that they normally do that they can't then you would be advised to get them checked out but we are usually just worrying ourselves silly with things like this and hopefully, like me, you'll have nothing to worry about. grin

I'm sure someone else with much more knowledge will be along soon, but just wanted to pass on my bit of experience whilst you wait!

If you're worried you can always call NHS Direct.

Good luck x

BenRoo Wed 07-Sep-11 14:36:11

Thanks for your reply!
I checked him every hour for the first few and he's ok this morning so...
I'm just a neurotic 1st time Mumwink

BeaWheesht Wed 07-Sep-11 19:35:31

My 11m old dd does this all the time. When ds did it I panicked but with dd I know what to look for and that's half the battle.

Unusual drowsiness
Pupils not dilating appropriately
Sick more than once
Lack of co-ordination

BeaWheesht Wed 07-Sep-11 19:39:46

Got cut off half waay thru - here is list of when to seek help:

Any symptom that is getting worse, such as headaches, nausea or sleepiness

Nausea that doesn't go away

Changes in behavior, such as irritability or confusion

Dilated pupils (pupils that are bigger than normal) or pupils of different sizes

Trouble walking or speaking

Drainage of bloody or clear fluids from ears or nose

Vomiting

Seizures

Weakness or numbness in the arms or legs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now