Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Am I being paranoid

(7 Posts)
juliec26 Tue 06-Sep-11 08:31:15

Have a ds who id 8 months old and have problems with the fact both my MIL and FIL are heavy roll up smokers and when we see the, although they go outside for a cigarette they come straight back in pick my DS up. Last night MIL came to look after DS who was bathed and in bed, but awake.. MIL walked in after have a cigarette and went straight up stairs stinking of cigarettes and touching and breathing all over my DS - I got really anxious and said its ok he will fall asleep on his own, but she wanted stroke him to sleep.. I find it hard to say stuff as last time i tried i got told she had smoked through both her pregnancies and throughout her children's life and they are both fine! Problem is she is due to have DS when i go back to work and i am getting worried about it - Any advice on how much this might actually affect ds would be great - Not sure if I am totallly overreacting as sure nursery staff smoke??

Bunbaker Tue 06-Sep-11 08:37:37

Personally, I wouldn't leave my baby with a heavy smoker for childcare while at work. Presumably your in-laws both smoke in their own house when you aren't there, so the house will stink and have cigarette smoke residues.

I would be very uncomfortable with this.

TanteRose Tue 06-Sep-11 08:39:46

I really don't think many nursery staff will be heavy smokers tbh...

you might want to rethink your childcare arrangments.

juliec26 Tue 06-Sep-11 08:53:07

They smoke in the conservatory so the kitchen stinks of smoke - my ds has a constant cough and I just feel totally uncomfortable with him being at their house -It annoys me they dont seem to care about his health and just disregard new research - Thanks ladies, problem is not one person in my family smokes so might see if my mum will have him for the days i need

Bunbaker Tue 06-Sep-11 09:02:19

If your DS has a constant cough then definitely do not leave him with your in-laws. Also it might be worth getting him checked out for asthma.

Do not leave him with them.

juliec26 Tue 06-Sep-11 09:16:11

have had him checked with doc each month and he has said no wheezing and chest sounds clear, have a dd 5 who constantly picks things up so hard keeping him away - does anyone know of any links to websites as looked for 2nd hand smoke and all it says it midwives say that after a cigarette a smoking person should change top, wash hands and face before contact with babies or toddlers- the amount they smoke will be getting changed every 20 mins!!! I feel awful as she is so looking forward to having him, but guess we will see how much if she will give up smoking for him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now