Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore throat, temperature, ear ache and vomit...

(25 Posts)
ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 21:17:32

Okay, I've googled but not sure. DD fine this morning, slightly runny nose. This evening complaining of sore throat and ear ache with quite high temperature (flushed face). Gave her calpol. Went to bed at 6.30 for half an hour. Got up, obviously uncomfortable for a while then threw up.

After this she perked up, gave her some calprofen. She started drawing pictures and playing with fairies. Then went back to bed of her own accord. Much cooler.

Am not used to her being sick. She is just over 3 and this is the very first time she has thrown up. Any ideas or am I crazy to even decipher what it is/was? Google has lead me to strep throat by the way.

(am very emetophobic doesn't help!)

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 22:11:41

Slpped cheek?

Ds had an odd bug last week - flushed face, high temp, sore ears and ulcers aall around tongue and throat. Not sure if it was slapped cheek but think so.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 05-Sep-11 22:21:24

Without sounding like a cliche, its probably just a virus. Stay away from the calpol unless she is in pain, latest research shows that a fever actually helps them get over the illness quicker.

You've done well to get to 3 without her vomiting though, well done! Just let her sleep as much as she wants and offer clear fluids little and often.

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 22:36:19

Thanks for the replies! She seemed quite distressed about her throat/ears and I felt a bit useless so that's why I reached for the calpol, well... that's not strictly true, she felt so hot I panicked a bit too!

I wondered about Slapped Cheek but the flush seemed to go after she was sick.

Indeed I have done extremely well on the vomit front up to this point. Maybe that's why it has unsettled me so much. I did remain calm and I hope she didn't pick up on my inner horror!

Dillydollydaydream Mon 05-Sep-11 22:39:29

I always vomit when I get tonsillitis. Also very sore ears as well as throat. Could it be that perhaps?
I always know when I get tonsillitis as I feel nauseous/vomit first

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:19:31

If her temps still up tomorrow I'd probably tke her to doc to get tonsils / ears checked out.

I now only give calpol if temp around 39 (in ds who is 4, I give a bit quicker to dd as she's under 1). If its bedtime I give it though in case fever spikes.

Did you take her temp or did she just feel hot?

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:19:31

If her temps still up tomorrow I'd probably tke her to doc to get tonsils / ears checked out.

I now only give calpol if temp around 39 (in ds who is 4, I give a bit quicker to dd as she's under 1). If its bedtime I give it though in case fever spikes.

Did you take her temp or did she just feel hot?

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:20:12

Hmmm just had much bigger vomit (luckily in bathroom). Am wondering if maybe when she said her ears hurt she meant her head... at least she wants to sleep in her own bed and not in with me! (I am in a small flat and so close I can hear her breathing).

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:20:41

Ps or if in pain obviously.

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:21:45

Bea - I did take her temperature earlier, albeit probably not very well. One ear said 38 the other 39.

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:22:07

Poor wee soul - did she keep calpol down at all? Well done on being calm.

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:24:37

She did earlier, I've not given her anymore. She just wanted to go back to sleep and now I'd have to wake her to give it. I feel like a terrible mother. She was a bit freaked out and I can't make it better. She even asked for her Daddy (we are seperated) and she has never done that.

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:25:32

Ps a fever can make them vomit. If you check it again and its still up I'd be tempted to give her nurofen if high.

CrushedWithEyeliner Mon 05-Sep-11 23:25:46

I sympathise with you...ds2 was sick earlier and DS1 just woke and I thought he was going to be sick so rushed him to bathroom, nothing happened so hav put him back to bed and am now sitting here terrified.

I never realised there was such a thing as emetophobia until about 10 years ago, just thought I was weird.

How are you coping?

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:28:03

Ah ok she's back to sleep - maybe take her temp just to check its not 40+ and then just leave her be and get some sleep yourself while you can. Have towels, bucket, wipes, antibac spray, cloths and spare clothes next to bed. Have spare bedlinen ready too. Oh and ideally a bowl for sick and a bucket / bags for sicky clothes / used wipes etc.

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:30:26

On the verge of crying actually and all shaky. Don't think I'm going to be able to sleep and feel ashamed of myself for worrying if it is something I will catch. First time I've really wished my xh was here in 2 years.

I think it is something about the anticipation. Hideous. Hideous. Bit worried I can't cope. (I know I can really am just being silly).

BeaWheesht Mon 05-Sep-11 23:34:44

You ARE coping.

CrushedWithEyeliner Mon 05-Sep-11 23:34:45

It is the anticipation, hate not knowing and waiting and symptom checking myself. Then the guilt for thinking about me instead of sick child. I'm alone too, so know I've got to deal, nearly phoned sister who lives 80 miles away to come and babysit me.

You're not at all silly, and definitely not alone [we're in this together emoticon]

CrushedWithEyeliner Mon 05-Sep-11 23:37:55

Fortunately MN is a great distraction tool...where is a good troll thread when you need one...

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:39:58

We shall be brave! [wipes away tears and summons bravado]

Pre child I always questioned whether I'd be able to deal with this kind of thing you know.

My Mum is coming to look after DD tomorrow so I can go to work, feel bad about that too (as I know I would rather temporarily run away from it, that it is not a work ethic thing, and what if she gets it...)

CrushedWithEyeliner Mon 05-Sep-11 23:44:26

You're doing really well, especially with being calm in front of your dd.

Don't feel bad about escaping, no one needs a wreck as a mother, go, recoup, come back not stressed.

Read that infections are usually transmitted by hand so am washing like I've got an OCD!

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:46:10

Me too! (hand washing!)

ItchyChin Mon 05-Sep-11 23:49:24

Right, am going to watch something on my laptop and try and think of something else then get some sleep. Wish me luck! May there be no more vomiting in either of our houses!

CrushedWithEyeliner Mon 05-Sep-11 23:55:33

Right, it has been an hour since ds1 woke so was probably a nightmare and I overreacted (also, now 5 and a half hours since he last ate so surely if it was going to make an appearance it would have done by now?).

Your dd is probably the same, it must have been about an hour now...if anything was bothering her, you would have heard.

Think I'm going to try and sleep, will come back on here if I'm awake at any stage.

Good luck smile

Marne Wed 07-Sep-11 10:12:39

Hope you are ok ItchyChin (fellow emetophobe here), sounds like the temp was making her sick, my dd2 often vomits if her temp is high, also ear ache can make them feel sick. There is a flu bug doing the rounds which seem s to involve a day of vomiting. Hope she recovers soon xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now