Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

trivial - but: taking plasters off without major trauma

(8 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 05-Sep-11 14:23:59

I just hurt DS1 quite a lot by ripping off a large plaster from his cheek. sad He had a mozzie bite there and was picking it, we were at a festival and I thought it would be better covered up to avoid infecting it. (Didn't have a smaller plaster.) It's been on over a week and was getting grubby. He absolutely refused to have it touched, let along pulled off, all week, so I'm afraid I distracted him just now, and then ripped it off. Ow. sad

Any tips on taking them off without pain? His face is all red where it was and he's still holding it and saying it hurts 10 minutes later. I tried wetting it in the bath but it wouldn't come off easily.

Are people just ripping off and kissing better, or is there a secret to doing it that I don't know?

(Disclaimer: yes I know this is PFB.)

KurriKurri Mon 05-Sep-11 15:37:06

They usually come off fairly easily in a bath if they are on the body, but a bit harder on the cheek - maybe he could hold a flannel over it to soften it up, or perhaps a bit of baby lotion under the ends of the plaster.

Meglet Mon 05-Sep-11 15:39:57

4.9yo DS had his first one on his leg the other day. I spent 30 mins trying to bribe him with smarties to sit down and let me take it off so he could get some air to it overnight. He refused so I ended up rugby tackling him and whipping it off before he could get away, he cried for about 10 seconds then realised it wasn't so bad and asked for a smartie.

acebaby Mon 05-Sep-11 16:37:43

high quality water proof ones are the worst to get off. I only use cheap and nasty fabric ones (eg Sainsbury's own brand) on the DC, and they tend to come off of their own accord after a day or so - even in areas that don't get wet.

Vajazzler Mon 05-Sep-11 16:46:47

I use oil on tricky to remove plasters. Give it a few minutes to work it's magic and they slide right off

Seeline Mon 05-Sep-11 16:54:26

Yep a good soak in the bath and a dose of baby oil and they soon come off!!

Tidypidy Wed 07-Sep-11 22:44:53

you can buy Zoff wipes from chemist that dissolve the adhesive so the plaster comes straight off, they are about £5 for a box of 20 but really work. We use them to remove the adhesive from insulin pump cannulas. You can also get Lift Plus wipes but think they're only on prescription. A cheaper alternative is baby oil , just don't get it in his eyes.

4lizardsandababy Wed 07-Sep-11 23:16:59

I second the Zoff it is an amazing product! I am a paediatic nurse and would be lost with it! didn't realise you could buy it though! never tried baby oil but would imagine it would be quite effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now