Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I don't know what to do

(29 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 17:44:51

Just discovered my 8 year old has been playing out in the garden in a skirt and no knickers. When I asked why she said her vagina stings. She has said it before, usually later at night when I can't do anything about it. I have suggested she drink more, go to the toilet properly and to go and have a bath now but she has stormed off in a huff complaining about her verruca.

Is there anything I can do or does she need a doctor?

bagelmonkey Sat 03-Sep-11 18:33:05

If it's her vagina that stings she could have something like thrush
Will she let you have a quick look to see if she's red or just show you exactly where it hurts?

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 18:34:11

I will go and see if I can see. She should have calmed down by now.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 18:37:13

There is no discharge. It looked like it had been cut but tbh she sorts herself out in the loo so not sure what a child should look like. I felt unsure what I was looking for to be honest.

herbietea Sat 03-Sep-11 18:40:50

Message withdrawn

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 18:42:46

I don't think it is cut but I will put some cream on as it won't do any harm.

bagelmonkey Sat 03-Sep-11 18:42:51

If it stings when she pees, get her to pee in a bath of water or in the shower. Try to explain to her that she needs to drink more to make the wee less stingy even though she wants to drink less so she needs to pee less.

bagelmonkey Sat 03-Sep-11 18:43:45

Does she have any idea how or if she might have hurt herself?

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 03-Sep-11 18:43:51

If you can get her to point to or describe where it hurts, you'll at least have an idea whether it's external soreness on her skin or thrush.
Older girls do sometimes get sore 'down there.' I always treated it light nappy rash when DD was younger.

bagelmonkey Sat 03-Sep-11 18:44:09

Also, best to wear pure cotton undies.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 18:50:23

I have had another look. It is all the same colour with no redness or white discharge. Have persuaded her to have a bath and hopefully that will help. Knickers on or off at bedtime?

Bunbaker Sat 03-Sep-11 18:55:38

Sometimes it can sting with a UTI. Does she have a tummy ache at all?

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 19:02:49

No tummy ache but she said she had had a funny feeling in her side.

Bunbaker Sat 03-Sep-11 19:05:33

I suggest you get a urine sample and get it tested as soon as possible. UTIs have very serious implications and should never be ignored.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 19:08:43

She has gone to bed so I will take her tomorrow. Thanks.

The problem has been she only tells me at night and it isn't every day.

Bunbaker Sat 03-Sep-11 19:18:53

Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 19:23:01

Thanks.

Last time she was at the GP for something else she wouldn't let them look at her vagina.

Bunbaker Sat 03-Sep-11 20:14:10

If it is a UTI they won't ask to look at it. They will just test the urine.

Georgimama Sat 03-Sep-11 20:15:46

Always knickers off in bed. Knickers in bed are unsanitary.

Bunbaker Sat 03-Sep-11 20:20:16

I agree.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 20:21:50

She choses to wear knickers in bed. She has just come down saying it stings and she can't sleep. I suggested sudocrem but dh said I can't put that inside her. Definitely docs tomorrow.

winnybella Sat 03-Sep-11 20:25:56

Did you ask her where does it sting i.e. her urethra or her vagina or labia?

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 20:33:38

She pointed to below where the lips are.

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 03-Sep-11 20:33:45

But you can use Sudocrem externally, if it's only her skin that's stinging. You do need to know where the sting is, obviously. I always found Vaseline did the trick for dry/sore skin.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 03-Sep-11 20:33:59

<failed biology>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now