Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about my nieces eyesight

(6 Posts)
lumpylumps Fri 02-Sep-11 20:36:23

Dn will be 4 in december. She has always watched TV out of the corners of her eyes. I mean, she will literally be looking sideways away from the tele but still watching it. If you were sat next to her at the cinema, she'd be looking at you!

Db & sil don't seem to be worried but I can't help but think that they should get her vision checked.

Has any one ever come across this? Should I stick my nose in or stay out?

falasportugues Fri 02-Sep-11 21:23:44

sounds odd. have you discussed it with her parents? children have their eyesight tested at school in the reception class, but that could be 2 years away. when you talk to her, does she look at you out of the corner of her eye? what about if you sit some distance away from her? she might be short sighted.

good luck

PotatoesOfTheCarribean Fri 02-Sep-11 21:27:49

So she's using her peripheral vision to see the screen? Does she do this all the time, just with tv, or is it with all things at a distance?

TheOriginalNutcracker Fri 02-Sep-11 21:29:38

I used to do this alot as a child. I had my eyes tested several times but at that point there was nothing wrong with my vision, and the optician said it was just a habit.

I did eventually have to have glasses for short sightedness but not until I was 13.

I'd get it checked though.

willugotobed Sat 03-Sep-11 17:07:23

I know exactly what you mean. My dd does this when she's not wearing her glasses. She is very longsighted. We noticed this when she was 2. Another sign was that in photos the red eye doesn't match. I'd get it checked if it were me.

lumpylumps Sun 04-Sep-11 16:55:23

Sorry, I didn't mean to post & run! Had a hectic weekend!

Thanks for your replies, as far as i know its only when she watches tele. I haven't noticed it any other time.

I've googled it aswell & although its not unusal, i think I will mention it to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now