Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is fentanyl routinely used after children's operations?

(9 Posts)
PonceyMcPonce Wed 31-Aug-11 21:37:44

dd had an op yesterday and was given fentanyl. All went very well, but she was discharged with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

We are managing the discomfort (not real pain it seems) but I was a bit surprised at the difference between real heavy duty analgesia and stuff I normally give them if a bit poorly.

Tbh have only any exposure to fentanyl at end of life with parents so a wee bit out of depth.

Anyone know?

ShouldersBackAndNoBiscuits Wed 31-Aug-11 21:45:35

Sounds like standard practise to me. Strong analgesia at time of op, reducing in intensity thereafter. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are really good painkillers, particularly when taken regularly.

PonceyMcPonce Wed 31-Aug-11 22:28:44

Thanks. I just wondered what the mid range painkillers were. I presume there are some as they said to get in touch if she was in lots of pain.

She seems a bit more comfy now.

callow Wed 31-Aug-11 22:42:12

Fentanyl is given to children, depending on the wishes of the anaesthetist. Usually they give some during the surgery but is can also be prescribed to be given post operatively.

Usually this done in the recovery room only as it is a strong but fast acting opiate (like morphine). It can cause slow breathing so it is best it is given where there is one to one nursing and instant medical care if needed.

It usually only lasts a few hours and other analgesia is given around the same time so there is something in the system when it wears off.

PonceyMcPonce Wed 31-Aug-11 22:58:42

So is there a mid range painkiller for children?

I don't think she needs it, but am nosey

Lougle Wed 31-Aug-11 23:01:31

Diclofenac (votarol) is sometimes used, it's like a heavy duty Ibuprofen.

PonceyMcPonce Wed 31-Aug-11 23:14:17

Thanks. I do like to know stuff grin

bruxeur Wed 31-Aug-11 23:17:13

Or codeine, especially in combination with paracetamol. Gives people the terrible no-shits, though.

bruxeur Wed 31-Aug-11 23:19:12

Some stuff you might like to know here. Some quite interesting ratings, especially re paracetamol - just because it's otc doesn't mean it's feeble!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now