Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could it be silent reflux?

(5 Posts)
barbiebostock Wed 31-Aug-11 21:37:36

My 11 month DS has only ever slept on his tummy after steadfastly refusing to sleep on his back, but has always prefered lying on my chest or in the car seat, but whichever way he sleeps, will constantly wake through the night and cry out in pain. Sometimes he can be settled fairly quickly, but at other times he will continue to cry for what seems like an age.
He has always had a lot of wind (both ends!) which we have fought to help him bring up from day one and seems to suffer with tummy ache a lot too.
My DS also has a more or less permenant cough and at times his breathing can be quite wheezy (doctor states his chest is clear) and when he coughs it seems like he brings something up which he then swallows with a horrific look of distaste on his face.
From trying to do a bit of net research it sounds to me like he may be suffering from silent reflux and wondered if anyone else has experience of this and if it is likely in my DS.
I've already ordered him a wedge for his cot in the hope that this helps, but don't want to see the doctor if I am way off the mark (already having a battle with them over possible lactose intollerance)

MillyMollyMardy Wed 31-Aug-11 23:09:54

Your ds seems to have lots of the symptoms. Ask your GP to prescribe baby Gaviscon for his milk and ask for a paediatrician referral as they will prescribe other drugs if he is still getting lots of discomfort. The wedge will help provided he's not too mobile in the night.

The possible CMP intolerance may be linked with the reflux.

From my own experience GPs aren't always that clued up about silent reflux but remember you know your own child.

barbiebostock Fri 02-Sep-11 10:27:49

Thank you. Doctors appointment booked and this time i'm going to be a very pushy mum!

boobyboobyboobyboob Tue 06-Sep-11 21:36:12

Just wondering how you got on at the doc? My baby is 6 weeks old and suffering similar symptoms. He has been put on baby Gaviscon which has totally constipated him. I've now halfed the dose to see if that helps and if not I've to go back to the doc and they may consider Ranitidine (sorry no idea how to spell it).

hophophippidtyhop Wed 07-Sep-11 21:37:54

This sounds excatly like my dd's symptons - and she has cows milk protein intolence. Insist on a paediactric dietician appointment to get advice on it. Within a month of cutting out the dairy, she really improved. Refux and cmp intolerence very often go together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now