Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

teething...mouth virus? swollen bleeding gums in 16 month old...GP or dentist?

(3 Posts)
mamaesi Mon 29-Aug-11 17:28:40

my toddler seems to have mouth ulcers and extremely swollen gums...you can barely see her top teeth!

she is in a lot of pain and they bleed and I have never seen anything like this. should I go to my dentist or GP?

has anyone else had this problem? is there anything else besides calpol to give her?

sneezecakesmum Mon 29-Aug-11 18:33:51

Either really, but I suspect neither will have anything much to offer you unless these symptoms are very new. Sounds just like primary herpes simplex. When little ones get the cold sore virus they get just the same symptoms you describe. You occasionally get anti viral medication but even thats unusual as it needs starting very early on, and not usually given regardless. Basically its lots of fluids, nothing fruity or strong tasting as this will irritate further. very bland diet, bananas, very soft stuff. Ibuprofen AND calpol to control the pain so she can eat. Settles in less than a week and they get a reasonable level of immunity so only likely to get slight symptoms if any next time they meet the virus. Often caused by cold sorey people kissing babies!

nametapes Thu 01-Sep-11 09:43:44

Both. . . .then at least you have two lots of advice and two opinions.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now