Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6yo ds toothache, in a tooth that isnt even there!

(15 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 15:01:57

Ds seems to be going through a re-teething. His gums right at the back are swollen and it even looks like there is another tooth coming through. Its too early for wisdom teeth (obv) he has lost two of his baby teeth (front bottom) another tooth coming through? Ulcer? It comes and goes.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 15:37:19

?

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 15:37:20

?

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 17:14:26

Bump

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 17:14:27

Bump

mankyscotslass Sun 28-Aug-11 17:16:01

It could be his adult molars coming through at the back, I think DD got her first on of thos at 6, and has just cut another 2.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 17:20:17

Thanks, there doesn't seem to be any problem with the rest of his teeth, they are clean and holeless. But there's no tooth on top of it. Is that normal?

blabalalalablabla Sun 28-Aug-11 17:23:30

yes - normal - at approx 6 it is the adult molars coming through - I got a complete surprise the first time this happened with ds.

sprinkles77 Sun 28-Aug-11 17:25:18

Sounds like his first permanent molar coming through. Would expect to happen aged about 6. They come in behind the baby molars. Don't worry, many of the mums I meet don't know about these!

DontCallMeBaby Sun 28-Aug-11 17:29:57

How many teeth has he got altogether? He should have had 20 baby teeth (and has now lost a couple, as you said) but will get an extra four molars at around the same time.

Dentists number the adult teeth and letter the baby ones, so from the back at the moment DD (7) has 6 (adult molar, which didn't replace a baby tooth), E & D (baby molars), C (baby canine), 2 & 1 (adult incisors, which replaced baby incisors ... then back round again (ie this is one quarter of a jaw).

Does that make sense? In short - yes, he is due to get some brand new teeth which don't replace existing teeth.

mankyscotslass Sun 28-Aug-11 17:30:26

Sounds totally normal. smile

DontCallMeBaby Sun 28-Aug-11 17:34:00

A chart like this is useful for figuring out what comes next. Like - the tooth fairy is embarking on an 18 month or so holiday in this house, as DD has lost her first eight teeth! Better get saving for the next lot ...

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 17:36:28

Phew, he has got 20 teeth altogether, and it does look like there is a tooth pushing up. Glad to know I'm not being a total idiot though. I didn't know that he would have fewer milk teeth than adult teeth!

OracleInaCoracle Sun 28-Aug-11 17:36:29

Phew, he has got 20 teeth altogether, and it does look like there is a tooth pushing up. Glad to know I'm not being a total idiot though. I didn't know that he would have fewer milk teeth than adult teeth!

DontCallMeBaby Sun 28-Aug-11 21:11:16

Oh yeah, still plenty of teething to go! In fact I've just realised that diagram has the third molars, aka wisdom teeth as coming in 'variable 17-21' - ha! I'm pushing 40 and one of mine is still on its way out, and the fourth is nowhere to be seen (first two appeared after I turned 30 as well). Stoopid teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now