Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 week old constipated

(13 Posts)
beckieperk Sun 28-Aug-11 13:52:29

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to relieve my 5 week old son of constipation? He doesn't go for up to 3 days at a time and on the days he doesn't go he is very restless during the day and has griping tummy pains which is causing him some pain.
I have tried water inbetween feeds and pumping his legs with his nappy off. Both with limited success. Any other tips or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks folks. :-)

faverolles Sun 28-Aug-11 13:54:33

Is he breastfed or bottle fed?

beckieperk Sun 28-Aug-11 15:40:57

He is bottle fed now. I use aptamil. He still sometimes feeds quite little and often - about 8 feeds a day anywhere between 75 and 150 ml.

Iggly Sun 28-Aug-11 15:49:16

Might be worth speaking to a HV or GP about his formula? Can you try aptamil comfort - bit easier to digest.

beckieperk Sun 28-Aug-11 15:51:52

Sorry yeah - he's already on the comfort version. Forgot to mention that!! Whoops!

Soph85 Mon 29-Aug-11 09:32:13

hi, I am having the same problem, my baby is 16wks but was 9 wks prem, I was thinking of giving her some sugar in water or diluting some of that baby juice u can buy??? Any suggestions?? I have tried water between feeds, moving legs, tummy massage, hot baths ect ect...Thanks x

Iggly Mon 29-Aug-11 10:42:00

Some people have tried brown sugar in water (a teaspoon) which helps - I've not so can't say for sure!

How are they apart from constipation? I'd see what your HV thinks about intolerance to cows milk if they are in discomfort. It can yak time for a baby to get used to cows milk, some babies are ok from the go.

Soph85 Mon 29-Aug-11 11:00:10

Hi, thanks for that. My baby has prem milk on prescription because she was only 2lb 3oz, she doesnt have any other problems so dont think its whats in the milk its just the huge amount she needs to drink to put the weight on. Ive just bought some baby apple juice amd given her 2oz with a drop of cool boiled water...ill see what happens when it reaches the other end ...thanks again

Udecide Tue 30-Aug-11 08:17:55

Hi Guys, I am a new member But I have gained some good advice from this site on more than one occasion. I am also having trouble, My LO is 12 weeks old and has been suffering with this since 2 weeks old. I have tried everything from a teaspoon of freshly sqeezed OJ in 4oz of sterile water, Pumping legs, tummy massage, etc even gave her a mild laxitive prescribed by peads, but nothing worked only served to give her cramps. Sterile water with a little sugar worked for a while but now back to square one. Doc has put her on Cow and Gate pepti Junior food and has been taking that now for 5 days and has only had 1 dirty nappy, I am at my wits end trying to solve this just to give her some comfort, Also I have been advised not to giver her the baby juice as she is too young???, If anyone one can help I would really appreciate it.

Udecide Tue 30-Aug-11 10:17:32

Should also Mention that she ahs been on infant gaviscon for silent reflux, Not sure if this could be a factor, but docs don't seem to think so. I have presented with this a few times since it started and no-one has actually examined her, Just gave me ideas and prescriptions sad

Iggly Tue 30-Aug-11 19:40:28

If she's been diagnosed with reflux then it could actually be cows milk intolerance - which would explain the constipation.

You need to keep pushing, see if you can get a referral to a paediatrician and ask for hydrolysed formula.

Infant gaviscon can also make constipation worse - try skipping a dose a day or using a touch more water. I had the same problem with DS and got ranitidine instead for silent reflux. It neutralises the acid. Ask your GP to switch to this (also easier to give than gaviscon)

fairimum Wed 31-Aug-11 13:51:20

gaviscon can cause constipation (very very), you can get enfamil AR (antireflux) milk prescribed which my DS was fine with - also cheaper for you! if she was fine before having the gaviscon then is worth a try! My DD was similar and turned out she was lactose intolerant so ended up on SMA LF (lactose free) - we have lactose intollerance in family anyway so knew to keep an eye out for it! other thing to try is lactulose which is basically just a sugary mixture - it isnt a laxative but just draws water into the bowel to make it easier for them to go (not absorbed into the blood stream at all)
- DD had this to counter act the gaviscon for a while, but she had to have a really high dose!

Udecide Sat 03-Sep-11 22:07:14

Hey Guys, Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment with my HV on Monday to get the second round of injections, I will mention it again to her as there will be a doc present to check her over before she's injected. Also I have been keeping a poop diary detailing the time she feeds, how much she takes, her general mood and the nappy contents which I will be bringing with me so they can see I am not just being paranoid hmm she has been on pepti Junior (lactose free milk) now for 8 days and has only had 2 dirty nappies sad. I will be questioning them and making your suggestions. I will let you know what the outcome is. Thanks again it has really helped and stopped me worrying quite as much. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now