Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

quick advice please: child with knee pain after a fever, now has rash on face and is very tired.

(14 Posts)
vincentvangogh Sun 28-Aug-11 11:58:06

here is my other thread about ds who I thought was exaggerating a bump on his knee. Evidently he isn't as he's stuggling to walk.

he now has a pinky rash on his face. I don't know what to do. The gp we saw last saturday didn't actually say I was being neurotic but did tell me not to go back to my gp for a week and I should try to see the same one each time. (ds had a fever above 38.5 all day and had been vomiting, only to cheer up and have a normal temp once I'd bundled him off to the out of hours gp.)

do I wait until Tue and get an appointment on Thu?

should I try the out of hours gp or should I phone nhs direct? I don't want to waste anyone's time - particularly my own as I am on my own with 3 kids today but I think something's wrong.

rubyslippers Sun 28-Aug-11 12:00:17

Call NHS direct or your OOH

Viruses can cause rashes but you need to be sure that's what it is

You need to sort the knee pain out

winnybella Sun 28-Aug-11 12:07:44

Isn't there a virus/reaction to virus that causes joint pain and rash and it can be dangerous? Sorry, totally forgot the name.

If I were you, I would probably go to OOH or A&E.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sun 28-Aug-11 12:29:50

If it's still getting worse after a week and you are worried, and given that it's bank holiday, if I were you a I would happily call NHS direct at least and maybe the OOH too.

I would also take his temperature before I called, and try to get a good description from him of what the pain is and where it is. Then I would give him some ibuprofen.

vincentvangogh Sun 28-Aug-11 13:07:35

Have phoned nhs direct. The lady told me to give him calpol and take him to the gp next week. Why do these things always seem to happen on bank holiday weekends?

pozzled Sun 28-Aug-11 13:12:25

No, get him seen asap. I'm not sure about the rash on his face, but the pain in his knee could be a secondary infection from the virus. Is his knee swollen or hot to touch?

My DD had something very similar after a throat infection and it was quite serious, something called septic arthritis which needed hospital treatment. Hopefully it won't be that- and I don't mean to scare you- but I would definitely get him to OOH doc today.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 28-Aug-11 13:13:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoscoIsMyLover Sun 28-Aug-11 13:21:21

I don't want to alarm but when I was a kid I was diagnosed with stills disease or systemic juvenile arthritis. Knock to the joint, pain swelling, salmon coloured rash, fatigue. Not saying that it is, but its worth a look.
Hope he feels better

pozzled Sun 28-Aug-11 22:36:21

Hi VVG, just wondering how your DS is doing? Hope he's feeling better.

vincentvangogh Mon 29-Aug-11 09:43:35

his knee is still hurting and he's limping. No swelling, not hot area, no fever at the moment. I'd like to get it looked at but as it isn't getting worse I will wait until tomorrow. I think that's what the OOH people would say anyway as that was the advice I received from NHS direct. I will ask the GP to see him tomorrow, though as I don't want to wait another couple of days for a routine appointment.

BoscoIsMyLover Mon 29-Aug-11 13:52:16

Good luck with it vincent the not knowing is the worst. Make sure you dont get fobbed off. Ask for bloods to be taken, ask for xrays, ask for a second opinion if you need to. You know your son, so dont let them fob you off.. I hope he feels better soon!

Lizcat Mon 29-Aug-11 15:46:46

I would also like to suggest Lyme disease joint pain, rash and intermittent fever.

calypsoblue Mon 29-Aug-11 21:33:04

Ds 3 has just recovered from pneumonia
And also as a result of the illness what was called sinovitus (swollen joints) it affected his hips and he would wake up screaming in pain,the doc prescribed ibuprofen and he was better in a few days

vincentvangogh Tue 30-Aug-11 17:14:26

Took DS1 to GP - still limping. He'll be having an xray of his hip to check for Perthes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now