Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constant Dirty Nappies

(5 Posts)
boobyboobyboobyboob Sat 27-Aug-11 21:17:47

Hello, I have a 5 week old baby boy who is breastfed, has colic, is extremely windy and is constantly producing dirty nappies which in turn is making his bottom sore. Is this normal? He is putting on weight but I'm concerned as he is always groaning and bearing down and this results in a dirty nappy.

RuthChan Sun 28-Aug-11 09:56:23

How many nappies does he produce a day?
10 or 15 a day is perfectly normal at that age.
It can make babies' bottoms sore. The only answer is to clean him as soon as possible after the nappy becomes dirty.
Don't use baby wipes if possible. They contain some quite harsh chemicals and are not good for such delicate and thin skin. Where possible, only wipe with cotton wool dipped in warm water.
Once the area is completely clean, dry it and apply a thin layer of sudocreme if necessary.
I hope this helps.

boobyboobyboobyboob Mon 29-Aug-11 21:11:32

Hello ruth. He produces about 20 dirty nappies a day and I am now convinced that my baby may have silent reflux as opposed to colic. I have been using wipes which are for sensitive skin but have now stopped and am using cotton wool and water. Thank you for your advice. I am going to take him to the doctor on Wednesday so we'll see what he says.

RuthChan Tue 30-Aug-11 19:09:48

Hi BBBB
20 nappies does sound like a lot.
I'm glad you have changed your wiping ways, but I think that talking to the doctor is probably wise as well.
I look forward to hearing what he says.

boobyboobyboobyboob Tue 06-Sep-11 17:41:19

Hi Ruth,
Just a wee update, I went tp the doctor and he thinks my baby has silent reflux. He was given Infant Gaviscon which he had to take with every feed (not easy when exclusively breastfeeding!) and is now totally constipated. I,ve halfed his dose but not sure its doing anything apart from giving his bottom a chance to clear up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now