Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has a rash that doesn't fade under pressure but is very well,wwyd?

(21 Posts)
used2bthin Sat 27-Aug-11 19:35:18

well I have phoned the out of hours GP for advice but am hoping they say don't worry as she is perfectly well, has had a good day at an activity centre and possibly hurt herself or something there but it does look like a small area of pinprick rash quite dark.

She has just eaten seconds of tea and I only noticed when I was bathing her. Does anyone know can a rash ever be the only meningitus symptom? I think it is usually the last and accompanied with being very ill?!

ragged Sat 27-Aug-11 19:37:02

Sounds like some kind of dermatitis, could be a million causes. If it doesn't go away in 2 weeks you're supposed to see a GP (though I didn't, heyho, with no regrets).

used2bthin Sat 27-Aug-11 19:38:58

Ah that sounds likely as DD has lots of skin problems and used to get allergic reactions to some things, bet it was something at the activity centre because she was climbing all over the equipment.

GloriaVanderbilt Sat 27-Aug-11 19:39:52

I think if she is fine you are probably Ok to wait a bit. It would generally indicate septicaemia and that's unlikely without feeling poorly.

Keep an eye, maybe take a pic or draw round it. Then see if it's changed in an hour. Lots of things can cause this.

girliefriend Sat 27-Aug-11 19:40:23

If she is well in herself then I wouldn't be overly concerned as with meningitis I am sure she would be more unwell then she sounds. Maybe keep an eye on it, check its not spreading or anything.

Marne Sat 27-Aug-11 19:42:21

The rash for meningittus is one of the last symptoms to apear (so she would be very poorly by now), if she's not poorly then its more likely to be a reaction to something. Dd2 often gets odd rashes (as do i) and its often areaction to something she has brushed against or naughty mummy changing the washing powder.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 27-Aug-11 19:43:56

Dd had this on her hands when she was little but gp was very very concerned until he had personally examined her.

Even then he phoned me 3 times at intervals later that day. Based on.my gp's level of concern I am a little surprised by the response from out of hours..

Having said that His rationalization for not blue lighting us in was that she was otherwise well. He did say rash is normally a late symptom. He came to conclusion that she had probably been handled a bit 'rough' by older sibling.

lostinwales Sat 27-Aug-11 19:48:31

My son had the pin prick rash without being unwell last year and then got some joint pain and he has this . I was the same as you, unflustered even though he had the classic meningitis rash, I look back now and wonder how I could have been so calm. I would still make sure you at least speak to or see a Dr today. There were other problems that stemmed from this over the next few months and it was good to be on top of it. I hope I'm not being too alarmist but a non blanching rash should always be checked out.

lostinwales Sat 27-Aug-11 19:50:38

Although looking at the images on wiki they are a bit alarmist! We weren't quite in that league!

anchovies Sat 27-Aug-11 19:52:20

My ds had the pinprick rash before starting with a virus recently, doctor was quite concerned even though he was well at that point. Personally I would get it checked out to be on the safe side.

beautifulgirls Sat 27-Aug-11 20:45:45

DO NOT MESS WITH THIS..... Take her to the doctor and get this looked at. It may well be nothing but time is absolutely critical if this is meningitis or septicaemia. No apologies for "shouting"

Believe me, I know. I have spent the last just over 2 months dealing with DD#3 who was fortunate enough to recover from septicaemia. She was lucky to live and has has lost a foot as a result.

used2bthin Sat 27-Aug-11 21:12:54

Thank you all I had just phoned the out of hours service before starting the thread so hadnt spoken to them at that point. They said they's like to see her due to the description of the rash and also because dd is medically complicated. The Gp we saw said the rash wasexactly like a septicemia rash so if it had been in more than just the one small area or if she was unwell he would have been very worried but as it was he said most likely an injury from the activity centre, he asked was there a rope swing and in fact she had been climbing up a rope ladder so he felt it was enough of an explanation.

beautiful girls sorry to hear of your experience with it, how terrifying and thank goodness she survived it.

I am very glad to have had it checked out as have been able to put her to bed without worry. Well sort of given her medical complications but much less worried than I would have been!

DeWe Sat 27-Aug-11 21:19:22

Ds gets this quite regularly, first time when he was only a couple of months old. He's never appeared ill with it, but even my very sensible GP sent us to A & E a few times before we agreed he just gets it with a virus. He's had it several different ways, from large bruised areas, to tiny pin pricks in a small area. Sometimes it spreads extendively over his body, other times it's very localised.

As someone else said, it's one of the later symptoms of meningitis, so unlikely to be it. One of the A&E people said that he found it irritating that people focus so much on the rash as it can delay them getting to hospital because they think it can't be meningitis because there's no rash.

If she's been sick, or coughing then getting them round eyes is fairly common, but I assume seeing as you said she's well she hasn't been.

If you are at all worried then go to A&E and they'll do a blood test. No one's going to blame you for turning up with that as a symptom, as I said the GP sent me on several occasions, and nothing except a virus (which can cause it) has ever been found.

used2bthin Sat 27-Aug-11 21:21:31

Thanks it is a small patch on her shoulder so the GP wasn't concerned since she is so well (she was pedallng the bed up and down and singing!

CharlieBoo Sun 28-Aug-11 12:41:04

My sons had this a few times when he was smaller after a tantrum
... His was always on face or neck though.

beautifulgirls Sun 28-Aug-11 21:26:40

Glad to hear everything is ok. We just never considered it would be one of our children who would end up that sick. When it happened it was just surreal. We are incredibly lucky to have her still, not least because in the 36 hrs before her non fading rash came out she saw 2 different doctors. Her rash also was not typical purple, it was a red rash that did fade a bit, but not properly. Thank goodness I saw it when I did and wouldn't take no for an answer. I don't blame the docs who missed the severity of her problem though, it just shows how hard it can be even for the medics to miss serious cases.

used2bthin Mon 29-Aug-11 13:16:16

Thanks beautiful girls an ikwym with not thinking it can happen to us, I think we all start out like that- I certainly did when DD was born and it is only when it does that you realise how scary life can be. That sounds terrifying and thank goodness you were able to be assertive about it. There is a little girl near us who has fairly recently lost her legs due to the same thing, I hear about it and felt so scared for them when she was ill and yet still was umming and ahhing over taking my DD to the doctor! Just shows how easy it is to be over confidant about these things.

Lizcat Mon 29-Aug-11 15:42:46

I'm glad it has turned out well for you. My DD develops this 'rash' very easily, it is actually burst little blood vessels under the skin. The first time she had spent four hours on a trampoline and it appeared under her eyes. Trip to GP who stripped her off and check nearly every orifice, but said take home and monitor.
We have now got to the point where I monitor her and any other signs of illness we are off down to the GP. We had a patch on her neck last night, unsure what caused it this time, but it is gone now.
Interestingly though when she had septicaemia as a baby she never got the rash.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 15:45:05

I wouldn't care if the docttr wasn't concerned if I still was and would go to A & E straight away for a rash that doesn't go.

You don't need to have all the sumptoms of meningitis for it to be meningitis.

used2bthin Mon 29-Aug-11 17:45:34

Thanks Lizcat and TheOriginalFAB, I am not concerned now as it has faded and she is still well but agree about acting fast and not taking no for an answer if concerned about a rash or illness in general tbh with small children.

Lizcat the doctor said this was broken vessels under the skin which is why it looked so similar to septecimia rash.

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Aug-11 20:53:03

Glad she's ok now. DS1 had the same thing a few years ago - a small patch on his shoulder - and it turned out to be from his seatbelt. We'd had a sudden stop in the car the day before and it must have pinched the skin a bit and burst the blood vessels. I was slightly hysterical a bit worried about it at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now