Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

burns advice please

(11 Posts)
VoldemortsNipple Fri 26-Aug-11 20:11:50

Ds2 has been scalded by coffee this morning. He was on a fishing trip with dh and first aid was minimal. (cold wet towel) anyway it has developed a blister a bit larger than a 50p.I have been to the chemist for some advice and dressings. I explained that the burn was blistered and he gave me some cream called Acriflex. When I questioned if cream was ok to put over blisters, he said, oh has it blistered already. But still said use the cream and don't dress the wound.

I will take DS to the walk-in centre tomorrow, but I'm unsure whether to use this cream. It has been instilled into me never to put cream on a burn. DS is bound to knock it and I'm worried it will get infected if its not dressed properly.

PIMSoclock Fri 26-Aug-11 20:13:01

Where is the burn? smile

Sirzy Fri 26-Aug-11 20:15:48

If the blister is bigger than a 50p then I would be taking him to the walk in centre/a and e tonight personally.

Marne Fri 26-Aug-11 20:17:53

The blister will pobably pop, you will then need to let it dry out/scab over, i would put something over it/dress it when he's in bed or he might knock it in his sleep and pop the blister but let it go uncovered as much as you can so it can dry out and heel. I'm not sure about the cream, i have never used cream for a burn (and as a chef i have had many). It may take a long time to fully heel.

chimchar Fri 26-Aug-11 20:24:46

In my distant memory of first aid, any burn over the size of a 50p should be seen by a dr. I would have thought even more so with a child.... I'd pop tonight if you're able.

Hope your ds is better soon.

VoldemortsNipple Fri 26-Aug-11 20:31:31

pins its by his ankle, so knowing how DS likes to do an Irish jig in his sleep, it will definitely get knocked. He is not in any pain as his body is doing the job of protecting it with this lovely blister. I don't think it will get any worse as he done it this morning.

Reading the leaflet, it says you can use the cream on minor burns or sunburn blisters. I would say its more than a minor burn and the blister is not like the kind you get from sunburn. So I don't think I will use it.

PIMSoclock Fri 26-Aug-11 20:41:17

The cream is chlorahexidine based. This is a antiseptic that is commonly used on burns in hospital.
While the blister is in tact it is keeping the wound underneath sterile.

Burns have a high chance of becoming infected if not treated properly and the bigger they are the worse the infection can be.

The cream will not do it any harm, I would cover it with a dry dressing if you have one and definitely seek further medical advice.

The reason that creams and potions are generally avoided (after the initial first aid) is that it can make cleaning a burn difficult and potentially trap more dirt than they treat. That being said the cream you have is an antiseptic that is recognised for the treatment of burns.

Keep the blister clean and dry, apply the cream sparingly if you choose to use it apply a clean non stick dressing (you can use cling film if you are really struggling) and go to walk in centre as soon as is reasonable for you to do so

Hope this help

PIMS

VoldemortsNipple Fri 26-Aug-11 21:15:15

Thanks pins. That is really helpful.I've raided the first aid box (mental note to replenish stock) and found some non stick dressings so I will dress them now. I feel better about using the cream now so I will put a bit of that on it as well and take DS the walk-in tomorrow. We have a big thunder storm brewing outside and I honestly don't think it will make much difference if we went tonight.

PIMSoclock Fri 26-Aug-11 21:17:34

No worries.
Hope it's all goes ok tomorrow smile

PIMSoclock Fri 26-Aug-11 21:23:22

Oh and just in case anyone says you shouldn't ever put cream/oil on a burn cause it will trap the heat in...
This is only true in the initial first aid phase.
As your ds is more than 12 hours down the line, this is no longer relevant.
Healing burns need specific antiseptic and moisture
smile

VoldemortsNipple Fri 26-Aug-11 21:42:40

That's good to know. I will take the cream with me tomorrow to show the nurse.

Thanks again :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now