Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Son having a tooth out next week

(7 Posts)
nametapes Fri 26-Aug-11 13:00:40

Has anyone any experience of this. My Ds is 10 yrs and had a milk pre molar filled last week. Since then he has developed an abcess in the gum above this tooth. We saw the dentist yesterday and she has give anti biotics and says the tooth must come out.
Have you experience of tooth extraction with a local with 9-11 yr olds.?
Thanks in advance.

Katisha Fri 26-Aug-11 13:11:53

Yep.
Fine with DS1 who had to have teeth out for overcrowding. Local and no probs.
DS2 however had a bad experience and said he could still feel pain when he had to have a tooth out ofr similar reasons, and developed a bit of a phobia. So we went for sedation the next time and all was well.

posey Fri 26-Aug-11 13:15:29

Dd was about that age. Needed 2 out because she had an abnormal tooth growing in the gum which they needed to get to before it did untold damage.
Anyway yes, taken out under local. She is generally pretty stoical and wouldn't make a fuss even if she wanted to because she doesn't like causing a scene away from the safety of home! So anyway, I told her, truthfully, that the injection bit is horrible and rather painful but over very quickly. Then the tooth extraction itself is very quick and painless. Have to chomp on a cotton wool wad thingy after to stem the bleeding. Need to let him know about how weird it feels to have a numb mouth.
I guess if he has an absess he is in pain so therefore the end of that will no doubt be a blessed relief. So main thing I think is to say yes it will hurt, briefly, and you know he feels scared (if he does) or just a bit apprehensive or whatever, but that it's all fir the best and you'll treat home to ....whatever you feel appropriate, afterwards.
Good luck

nametapes Fri 26-Aug-11 18:16:02

cheers folk. He isnt in pain but just hope we get through the whole procedure. Otherwise if ge refuses the injection then we ill be referred for inhalation sedation instead... which will be weeks away... ggrhh.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 27-Aug-11 07:17:43

DD had four out last year due to overcrowding. She was fine and singing 'ring of fire' as they came out.
If you are going in with him, don't look! I am a qualified nurse and have seen many horrid things. The tools dentists use are medieval in nature.
DD had no problems and no pain from the local.

nametapes Sat 27-Aug-11 17:41:53

I did look with my dd but she was 12 yrs and more stoic and tolerating of pain..

Canella Sat 27-Aug-11 18:08:49

Dd is 10 and has had quite a few out in the last 6 months because they were affecting the adult ones.

The last one came out on thurs - it was a bottom molar - sorry to say she was hysterical despite the local. But she let them do it and it was out in less than 2 mins (and it was quite deeply embedded).

I always say to her - it'll be over and done with in less than 5 mins. Hope your Ds gets on ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now