Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Found a couple of little bugs/insects stuck in my childrens skin. What are they?

(8 Posts)
madhairgirl Wed 24-Aug-11 11:40:12

Both children have got bites this morning and on closer inspection I found a couple of flatish little bug type things stuck into their skin. They did go for a walk yesterday with DH could it be something from that, or have we bed bugs or something else horrible? I asked DH if he has been bitten, I haven't and I wasn't with them. He doesn't think he has and all he can suggest is that they saw an anthill??

ImeldaM Wed 24-Aug-11 11:47:16

Ticks, maybe? would google to check and also to get advice on removing them.

colditz Wed 24-Aug-11 11:48:38

ticks

wigglybeezer Wed 24-Aug-11 11:50:33

They sound like ticks, did they walk in a wood or through long grass? Ticks are flat until they are full of blood! Don't pull them off, if possible twist them off or put meths on them to make them drop off (a tick removing tool from the vet is the best thing for the job).

My kids always seem to get them more than the adults, due to footwear and leg covering differences and the fact that they end up crawling around through undergrowth and bracken whereas I stick to the path.

mousymouse Wed 24-Aug-11 11:53:14

sounds like ticks.
get some tweezers out, grab them as far by the head as you can and gently pull straight out.
have a look out for a circular rash in the next couple of months, that is a sign of lyme disease and needs to be treated with antibiotics.

madhairgirl Wed 24-Aug-11 12:03:01

Thanks everyone, yes it was a wooded hilly area they went to. I think I am just glad that no one has said bed bugs. Am washing all the bedding at the moment just incasegrin

pozzled Wed 24-Aug-11 12:07:57

Yes, sounds like ticks. Best and safest way of removing them is using a tick removal tool- see if your local vet has got one.

And as mouseymouse says, be aware that you can get lyme disease from ticks, so if they are unwell in the next few weeks- rash, temperature, flu-like symptoms- see the GP and make it very clear that they've had tick bites.

pozzled Wed 24-Aug-11 12:09:44

Oh and do check both DCs carefully to make sure you haven't missed any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now