Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how much calpol to give?

(6 Posts)
pinkgirlythoughts Mon 22-Aug-11 16:26:24

DS, 3 months, seems to be getting his first teeth- 2 little white buds under his lower gum, and he hasn't stopped screaming all day.

I've given him 2.5mls of calpol an hour ago, and it doesn't seem to have done any good whatsoever. He's still screaming hysterically every time I try and take him off the breast sad

On the calpol packaging, it says you can give 2.5 or 5 mls of it to children aged 3 months to one year. But is the idea that you give 2.5 mls to those at the younger end of this age range, and 5mls to the older ones? Or will it be okay for me to give 5mls at bedtime? He's barely slept in two days, so is utterly exhausted, and I'd love to be able to give him enough medicine to sooth him so he can sleep, but obviously don't want to overdose him on it!

Paschaelina Mon 22-Aug-11 16:34:28

sad teething sucks, my son has been dreadful with all of his so far. Can I suggest you get some ibuprofen? It works better for teething pain because of its anti-inflammatory effect. I assume you have teething rings/gel/powders to try as well?

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 22-Aug-11 16:39:58

I only noticed the teeth late this morning, and haven't dared take him out of the house because of the screaming sad. Will send DP out for ibuprofen and teething gel etc when he gets in from work- hopefully won't be too long now!

WildHare Mon 22-Aug-11 16:53:25

Paracetamol dose is weight dependent. The recommended dose is 10-15 mg/ kg four times a day with at least a four hour gap. Infant calpol concentration is 120 mg/5 ml, i.e. 24 mg per ml. So the maximum volume you can give in each dose can be worked out by: (weight in kg x 15)/24 ml.

belgo Mon 22-Aug-11 16:54:32

Have you checked his temperature? Are there other possible signs of illness - blocked nose, reduced appetite for example?

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 22-Aug-11 17:04:11

His temperature seems to be okay- he has rosy cheeks, but doesn't really feel warm. He does have a rather snuffly nose, but then he's had that on and off pretty much since he was born, so I don't think it's that causing the discomfort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now