Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poorly, DS, should I put him to bed in his cot?

(10 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:38:51

DS aged 21 months has an ear infection, feeling quite sorry for himself, very very cuddly and full of kisses, has had an extremely high temp (still does, although new dose of calpol should reduce it again). Anyway, he has not slept a lot, and is quite lethargic, wanting to sleep/doze on me, or rather needing to, but fighting it.

He really could do with a nap, but I am struggling to get him to sleep with me on the bed/sofa or on me, he keeps getting up, climbing off me then collapsing in a heap on the floor, just lying there kicking his legs gently with no energy to get back up.

So, I am thinking of putting him in his cot, but that will involve letting him cry for a bit, and I am not sure I want to do that not least because his temp is very high and he has gagged twice like he is going to be sick (almost gagged i guess) but not been, i am worried that a period of screaming and jumping up and down is not going to be good for him. But he won't sleep otherwise and really needs to.

Should I just put him in the cot or try to get him to sleep on me by hook or by crook? It will mean doing nothing at all as the only position he likes is the same as when he was a baby, with me lying half upright and him spread across my chest!

Pootles2010 Mon 22-Aug-11 15:43:01

Could you go to bed with him? Might be nice to snuggle up in your bed with him.

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:44:41

pootles not working, he gets snuggled, starts to doze off them wakes up and changes his mind. He is so fighting it!

TanteRose Mon 22-Aug-11 15:44:57

the problem with ear infections is that they hurt more when you lie down flat.

My DD would only nap/sleep on me, half upright, because it relieve the pressure in her ear.

To put him down flat in his cot might be very painful for him sad

Pootles2010 Mon 22-Aug-11 15:46:22

Didn't know that tante, thanks for that! DS gets them all the time. Assume he's had some calpol op?

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:47:41

oh I did not know about that, that it hurts their ears more. I shall not put him in his cot then! there is my answer! Maybe that is why he won't settle on me then, maybe it hurts his ear. I shall prop him up in our bed and snuggle next to him...could do with a doze myself wink

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:48:56

pootles yep max doses of calpol since saturday, GP today who wants to treat it conservatively (ie no ABs just calpol).

Pavlovthecat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:49:53

in fact, i should have known about the ear/lying flat...i had an ear infection myself a couple of years ago and it hurt like anything when I laid down! [bad mummy]

Marne Tue 23-Aug-11 10:05:36

You could prop one end of his cot up so he's not flat or let him sleep on a bean bag (if you have one).

wannaBe Tue 23-Aug-11 10:11:06

you can give ibuprophen as well as calpol if his temp is very high.

also you can prop one end of the cot up so he's not lying entirely flat.

remember when my ds was similar age and was ill and one night we had to let him cry for about ten minutes because he was so over exhausted but just wouldn't settle with one of us there. It's horrible but sometimes it is what you have to do (be cruel to be kind, as it were).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now