Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How common is wheezing in babies with coughs?

(5 Posts)
boognish Sun 21-Aug-11 22:58:03

Just asking because my ds, who is almost 6 ms, caught a cold 9 days ago and since then has had - on and off - a really loud wheeze. I'm concerned because I remember having this constantly as a child, and it turned into chronic asthma.

Going to GP tomorrow, for what it's worth.

Sidge Sun 21-Aug-11 23:15:51

It's really quite common.

Many small children and babies get viral wheeze. It doesn't always lead to asthma.

nokissymum Sun 21-Aug-11 23:23:32

Very common, which is why most gps do not diagnose children with "asthma" before the age of 2, most just grow out of it by that age. Treatment is usually similar to that of asthma sufferers though, preventative inhaler (becotide or whatever) and the blue one, slbutamol.

The good old traditional methods work as well i.e breathing hot steam, or a hot towel (on babies chest) worked wonders for mine. smile

Good luck

Sirzy Mon 22-Aug-11 10:30:29

As others have said it's very common for little ones to get a viral wheeze. Worth getting checked at the gp just to be safe but I wouldn't worry about asthma at this point

boognish Mon 22-Aug-11 20:56:11

Thanks very much everyone who replied. GP listened to ds's chest and couldn't hear a thing! Ds wheezing again an hour later. Typical!

Still, at least she thinks nothing to worry about. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now