Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd enlarged ventricle

(6 Posts)
5darlings Sun 21-Aug-11 18:34:04

I took my daughter who is 11 to the doctor as she was breathless. She has been diagnosed with asthma but he wanted to do a chest xray as well. We had the results a couple of days ago and he said her left ventricle was enlarged - which could be an indication of a hole in the heart. She is being referred to a cardiologist for further tests. To be honest. It was a complete shock and some of his words were a bit of a blur.
He said he couldn't hear any heart murmur and she is fit and well. He even said that it could have been the angle from which she was xrayed that shown the enlarged ventrical, but he wanted is checking out. I just wondered if anyone could put my mind at rest, as the doc did do a letter to the cariologist into his dictaphone while we were in his surgery, but he did say it could take a while for the appointment to come through.
Thanks in advance x

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 23-Aug-11 14:00:21

Hi 5darlings - my dd has complex heart problems so I can probably answer some of your questions.

The tests she'll be having will be an ECG and an ECHO - the echo is an ultrasound of the heart. They're both painless and non-invasive. They usually do height and weight and may repeat the chest x-ray too. The enlargement (did he say left or right ventricle? It's usually the left that's best seen on x-ray) could be to do with a hole or a leaky valve, anything that makes changes the usual flow of blood. It's basically an indication that her heart is working a little harder than normal.

It's interesting that she's been diagnosed with asthma - is that a recent thing?

Do you know where you are being referred to?

5darlings Tue 23-Aug-11 21:08:36

Thank you for your reply. It was an enlarged left ventricle. Yes she was diagnosed with asthma last Friday after being breathless for about 5 weeks. She is now on the brown inhaler twice a day. She is being referred to Wythenshawe hospital xx Thanks for your reply. I'm just worried because she is a worrier. She was very upset and things do affect her.
I am trying to keep everything as normal as possible as theres no point worrying about something that may not even be a problem. For example - my nanna died who she was very close to and even though she seemed fine afterwards. It hit her hard as all her eyelashes fell out and she developed 2 bald spots on her head

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 23-Aug-11 21:29:53

Oh the poor thing. Not surprised she was upset.

I ask about the asthma because it's quite possible that she's not asthmatic at all - if her heart isn't pumping to full strength her lungs can be a bit 'wet' and it gives similar symptoms to asthma. Is the inhaler helping?

5darlings Thu 25-Aug-11 23:36:19

so so sorry for the dealy replying. Have been mad busy getting ready for a camping trip!!!
Ah that is very interesting. You have some fantastic advice xx She did say that she does feel slightly better since using the inhaler xx
Thank you so much for your reply xx

saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 02-Sep-11 12:02:25

been away but do let me know how you get on. Hope the trip was fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now