Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS has a bug of some kind - why are his eyes sore?

(4 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Aug-11 13:45:19

DS (aged 21m) has had a high fever (really high, 40dc or so, slightly croaky voice, slightly puffy face. fever has reduced somewhat but is still present. He is happy enough with most of his symptoms and medication is working well enough - ie I am mostly not concerned that this is anything other than a virus or some kind.

But he keeps rubbing and holding his eyes, mostly his left but sometimes right and crying saying 'eyes ow eyes ow' - they are a bit red, but mostly I think because he is rubbing them.

I guess this is just part of whatever bug he has atm? Any recommendations for easing the soreness ?

Thumbwitch Sun 21-Aug-11 13:50:48

when DS had viral lymphadenitis, the doctor told me that conjunctivitis can be one of the symptoms too. He had sore eyes for about a day and then it went away before I needed to worry about treating it, luckily.

Ask your pharmacist if Brolene drops are suitable for children as young as your DS - the drops are nicer than the cream and easier to apply and I always found it worked pretty well for conjunctivitis/irritation.

Thumbwitch Sun 21-Aug-11 13:52:00

Just had another check on google and it appears that one of the suggested uses for Brolene is to relieve sticky eyes in babies so you should be fine to use that.

Pavlovthecat Sun 21-Aug-11 15:02:57

thanks thumbwitch i will go see if i can get some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now