Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Weak bladder?

(6 Posts)
monkeybumsmum Sun 21-Aug-11 13:36:23

My ds is 4 1/2, and has been out of nappies during the day for two years. However, dh and I are getting increasingly worried as he can't seem to hold any drink for more than about 20/30 mins.

If he has a large drink, he will need the loo about half an hour later, and then every 15/20 mins or so after that for at least the next hour. During the night he is soaking through his nappy, even though we lift him when we go to bed.

I'm not sure whether this is possibly normal, and maybe he's just a late developer, or whether we should be taking him to the paediatrician?

Thanks for any advice!

Pamplemoussse Sun 21-Aug-11 14:57:21

I wouldn't say weak bladder, more like small volume, so work on increasing his fluid intake, to stretch the bladder and so increase holding capacity

(night time dryness is hormone-driven, and cannot be trained for and is a whole other story)

PositiveAttitude Sun 21-Aug-11 15:10:12

What does he drink? My DS was like this when he had squash, but fine with just water. Stopped the squash and the problem stopped.

Pamplemoussse Sun 21-Aug-11 16:05:00

yy squash and red/brown drinks (ribena, cola etc) can really irritate the bladder

water or milk best

monkeybumsmum Sun 21-Aug-11 16:16:48

Thanks for your replies - he mainly drinks water, milk and sometimes weak squash or watered down fruit juices. It doesn't seem to make any difference what he drinks, he still can't seem to last long afterwards.

Increasing the volume is going to be tricky - it's fine when we're at home, but if we need to go anywhere having him drink lots beforehand is a bit of a nightmare! He drinks loads at home, less if we're out, or if I know we have a long journey ahead...

Thanks for the suggestions!

btw Pamplemousse, I had read that somewhere about the hormones, what is the normal age that this kicks in do you know? I'm not worried about him being in nappies as there is no option at the moment, but it's interesting to know about smile

Pamplemoussse Sun 21-Aug-11 18:21:10

the hormone kicks in any time from about age 2 onwards; up to age 7 it's not considered unusual, from age 7 the GP can refer to enuresis clinic for investigation/treatment/lifestyle advice this website is great : eric

wrt increasing drinks and travel, build in and accept that loo stops will factor highly (grandmother sucking eggs here) eg on a trip to my family in Cheshire we used to KNOW we have to stop at services A for son #1 to wee, then services B for son #2 to wee, then #1 will need a poo, then I will need a wee; this too does pass as the child grows up. Once I got my head around the fact that a trip that would take me 2 hours took 3+ hours I just went [shrug] and this acceptance kind of made it easier.

NB we were not above pottying in a layby if needed

plod on, yes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now