Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how long can a todddler vomit/go without fluid and food.

(10 Posts)
letsgetloud Sun 21-Aug-11 11:42:58

Ds has been vomitting since Thursday 3pm. Kept nothing down, and very little liquid. He tried to drink again this morning but brought it straight up. He is very sleepy and lips are dry.

When I give him a bit of toast he doesn't even have the energy to put it to his mouth.

Not sure if it is safe to leave him until tomorrow to get an emergency appointment with gp or to take him to a sick kids hospital today.

winnybella Sun 21-Aug-11 11:44:34

Hospital, for sure.

winnybella Sun 21-Aug-11 11:45:20

Dehydration being the bigger problem here, obv.

I would go now.

hiccymapops Sun 21-Aug-11 11:47:35

I'd take him straight to the hospital, if he's not had anything and is listless, a walk in centre will probably send you there anyway.

moojie Sun 21-Aug-11 11:48:20

I really do think you need to take him to see a doctor. It is up to you whether you go straight to A&E or to the Out of Hours GP (their number will be on your usual GP's answer machine. It sounds like he needs to be seen within the next couple of hours. Next time I would really recommend using dioralyte as soon as they start vomiting. Small amounts little and often ( no milk or food initially) will often perk them right up.

Jemma1111 Sun 21-Aug-11 11:49:41

I agree, don't wait, take him to the hospital

letsgetloud Sun 21-Aug-11 11:54:12

Thanks. Will take him now, he is my fourth and have had a similar experience with my second child, took her to out of hours and was told she was fine etc. so just wasn't sure if I am over reacting.

Also he is on low dose anti b's everyday for recurring urine infections so was a bit concerned the anti b's not staying in his body.

Anyhow, thanks for replying everyone. Just getting ready now to take him now.

hiccymapops Sun 21-Aug-11 11:56:23

Hope he gets better soon x

ZhenXiang Sun 21-Aug-11 12:03:41

Sounds like he is dehydrated, you have made the right choice to take him to hospital.

I have very bad morning sickness and suck ice cubes/ice lollies to keep up my fluid intake you could try this on your way in, rub it on his lips. It doesn't irritate he stomach like fluids going straight down.

nancy75 Sun 21-Aug-11 12:05:22

My gp told me a good way to get fluid and some sugar into little one when they have D&V bugs is an ice lolly, because they they take it in slowly it stays down and the sugar perks them up abit. In this case I would go to the hospital as he has been unwell for a while

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now