Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5yo dd has bright red cheeks, what is it?

(6 Posts)
FreakoidOrganisoid Fri 19-Aug-11 08:43:52

3 days ago she had a red patch on each cheek, got gradually bigger until today both cheeks are completely bright red. Fades and gets redder randomly through the day.

It's not raised or bumpy, doesn't look like a rash as in it's not made up of dots- her cheeks are just bright red.

Nothing anywhere else on her body. Not ill, no other symptoms...

ledodgy Fri 19-Aug-11 08:49:21

Sounds like slapped cheek disease. Two of mine and myself have got it at the moment. The children didn't have any symptoms well a slight runny nose before the red cheeks but that was about it. An all over body rash followed the cheek one which looks darker when they are hotter and this can last on and off for a few weeks as can the cheek rash. Generally they are contagious before the rash comes out so if you have been near anyone pregnant you must let them know as it can be dangerous to a growing fetus. Iw ould also avoid anyone pregnant until the rash goes.

FreakoidOrganisoid Fri 19-Aug-11 08:55:51

hmm I had wondered if it was that but she hasn't had any other symptoms at all. I thought you got a sore throat and high temp with slapped cheek?

NunTheWiser Fri 19-Aug-11 08:57:26

Sounds like slapped cheek. Keep her away from other kids and anyone who is pregnant.

ledodgy Fri 19-Aug-11 09:01:13

No a lot of children only get the rash. mine have been fine just a bit itchy when the body rash came. I however have been really ill. i have been itchy, My joints have been hurting, feel very fluey and awful all week, only starting to feel a bit better today!

FreakoidOrganisoid Fri 19-Aug-11 09:24:08

Bugger. Thanks all.

Hope you feel better soon ledodgy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now