Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glue ear

(8 Posts)
helsbels03 Thu 18-Aug-11 22:09:17

anyone else dc got glue ear-it is usually a winter thing. It is making dd age 4 very grumpy and short tempered.does anyone have any ideas to help her.

ballstoit Thu 18-Aug-11 22:47:00

DD1 had glue ear. All year round. Then DS got other sinus/ear/throat problems so they both had more tests. They both have a dust mite allergy and the following things help;

- Anti allergy mattress protector.
- Washing bedding at 60 degrees plus.
- Hoovering daily (wood floors would be better but we rent so not possible)

What is she having in terms of referral/treatment? DD changed literally overnight when she had her grommits. From a whingey bag of grumpiness to a happy little charmer. It's such a short, strightforwarrd op, I'd push and push for it if I were you.

HTH

HarrietJones Thu 18-Aug-11 22:52:07

I have glue ear. Clearing out from the nasal end helps, nasal sprays to clear tubes.
I'm much More sympathetic to dd2now when she has it.

simpson Thu 18-Aug-11 22:54:49

have you got appt at the hosp??

I agree DS changed overnight once he had the grommets in (just over a yr ago and they are still in place, had check up last wk)

helsbels03 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:26:15

Washing bed clothes as we speak. We have dr appoint this morning so shall ask again about grommits..

Thank you for your advice

ballstoit Sat 20-Aug-11 20:49:50

How did you get on at the drs?

helsbels03 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:22:49

Sorry for late reply, she said there was nothing they could do except bring her back if no better next week. But I guess at least it's on her record now. We will keep going back again, and again!!

DeWe Thu 25-Aug-11 22:17:05

If it's only for this week or so then I doubt they'll look at grommets. Ds has had ear infections, and glue ear constantly when he doesn't have grommets in, he's on the second set age 4. Grommets make a huge difference to him in reducing the infections (and burst ear drums) down to almost nothing as well as giving him normal (just) hearing. Even then I had to get the consultant to look at him again to get the second set of grommets.
If you think she's generally/frequently got it then start by requesting a hearing appointment with ENT. When you're there you can ask about grommets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now