Advanced search

Need private talk to GP before they see DS, age 10. How?

(12 Posts)
Erebus Thu 18-Aug-11 09:03:02

I have decided I need to take DS2 to the GP to start the long, grinding journey for a paed ENT referral (have read many other threads on here about it!).

Basically, he has developed what is called an adeniod(al) face (google it!) as a result of mouth breathing. His mouth drapes open when he's watching telly or even doing school work, his breathing is practically always audible and he snores- and the reality is he's beginning to get teased about it all.

He had one single nasty bout of tonsillitis earlier this year and doesn't seem to suffer from ear problems like infections, glue-ear etc (though he suggested to me recently he might be a bit deaf!). I suspect enlarged adenoids but I want the GP to know this stuff before we walk in, esp the stuff about being teased as I don't want DS to know that I think it's an issue.

He's a bit immature (and small for his age) as well so I can't rationalise it properly with him yet, either.

WWYD? A letter to the GP? Try and phone them prior?

MaryBS Thu 18-Aug-11 09:11:19

Ask the Dr to phone you?

Erebus Thu 18-Aug-11 09:12:36

Do they do that?!

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Aug-11 09:12:52

I think phoning would be good.

MummyDoIt Thu 18-Aug-11 09:12:55

Either ask your DS to wait outside the room for five minutes while you speak to the Dr privately. At 10, he should be able to do that. Or write down anything you don't want your DS to hear and give it to the Dr to read.

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Aug-11 09:13:36

Yes you can ask the receptioninst to have the doctor call you. I have done that before and the Dr has always called.

moosemama Thu 18-Aug-11 09:13:54

In most surgeries you can book a phone consultation. I did this when we first wanted to see the gp about my ds's ASD. I arranged a telephone consult - spoke to them over the phone, then went in with DH but without ds (at the GPs request) then finally took him in for an appointment.

fartmeistergeneral Thu 18-Aug-11 09:13:59

Yes, you can phone and explain to the receptionist and they will get a doctor to phone you. No probs.

PonceyMcPonce Thu 18-Aug-11 09:17:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hanahsaunt Thu 18-Aug-11 09:21:16

I have written to our GP in the past with good effect - saved everyone time and I knew that I had put down everything that was needed to contextualise our conversation once I got there. Meant we could get straight down to it and make best use of the time.

RandomMess Thu 18-Aug-11 09:30:30

My daughter had enlarged adenoids and I was repeatedly told she would grow into them angry

In the end she need to have expansion work for her teeth as she had a severe underbite which caused the roof of her mouth to drop down which meant at long last she could breathe through her nose!

Erebus Thu 18-Aug-11 10:27:58

Thanks for all the advice!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: